my mum is moving away, so i was gonna pay her mortgage and live here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my mum is moving away, so i was gonna pay her mortgage and live here

My mum is moving away to leeds, she wants to rent a property up there so incase she doesnt like it, she can move down back down here, she has contents and building insurance as well as her mortgage, she said me and my parter are able to live here if we pay her mortgage off her,

she wont make no profit on the property. will she have to pay any tax on this, even though shes making no profit on this?

You and your mother should read the link below, so that you understand all of her legal obligations of being a landlord.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

Your mother may not have to pay any tax on her rental income, but she still has to declare it to HMRC.

Comment

Your mum has a personal allowance of 8105 pounds before 20% tax rate is charged on her remaining income after deducting 8105.

The taxable profit calculated from renting to you is 12 months mortgage payments minus 12 months loan interest and minus the buildings insurance.

Comment

"she wont make no profit on the property"
        reads that she will not be getting "no profit", therefore she must be getting some

If you mean no profit
        a) She will make no profit
        b) she wont make any profit.

It makes a difference to our answers sometimes if information is not precise.

Comment

She probably will be making a profit because you will be paying off some of the capital value of her mortgage - so when the time comes to sell there will be a tiny bit of the property that your 'funds' have paid for.

Comment

She won't make any profit were just paying off her mortgage payment each month

Comment

Originally posted by mollieframpton View Post
              She won't make any profit were just paying off her mortgage payment each month
              Yes, and that mortgage is buying her a house, which is hers to keep at the end. That is why HMRC will allow 'interest' against rental income but not all of the mortgage.

Let's take this to extremes.

Mum puts down £10k and buys £100k house with £90k mortgage.

You pay £535 a month and stay there for 25 years (mortgage amount)

Allowing for inflation, after 25 years Mum owns a house worth £200k.

That's £190k (£7,600 pa) profit but you have only paid the mortgage.

Comment

why not just give your mum the cash? and she uses it to pay the mortgage off? it's as if you don't exist. she's hardly going to evict you so no need for an AST.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by DoricPixie
                  How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                  04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                • SDLT and first time buyers
                  by mpppen
                  Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                  03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                  It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                  04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                  04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                  by mpppen
                  Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
                  04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
                  04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                  by mpppen
                  Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
                  04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Capital gains tax?
                  Who assessed market value?
                  Are they actually paying for this?
                  04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
                • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                  by ss112233
                  This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
                  Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
                  I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
                  03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
                • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                  by AndrewDod
                  Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
                  04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
                Working...
                X