my mum is moving away, so i was gonna pay her mortgage and live here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my mum is moving away, so i was gonna pay her mortgage and live here

My mum is moving away to leeds, she wants to rent a property up there so incase she doesnt like it, she can move down back down here, she has contents and building insurance as well as her mortgage, she said me and my parter are able to live here if we pay her mortgage off her,

she wont make no profit on the property. will she have to pay any tax on this, even though shes making no profit on this?

You and your mother should read the link below, so that you understand all of her legal obligations of being a landlord.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

Your mother may not have to pay any tax on her rental income, but she still has to declare it to HMRC.

Comment

Your mum has a personal allowance of 8105 pounds before 20% tax rate is charged on her remaining income after deducting 8105.

The taxable profit calculated from renting to you is 12 months mortgage payments minus 12 months loan interest and minus the buildings insurance.

Comment

"she wont make no profit on the property"
        reads that she will not be getting "no profit", therefore she must be getting some

If you mean no profit
        a) She will make no profit
        b) she wont make any profit.

It makes a difference to our answers sometimes if information is not precise.

Comment

She probably will be making a profit because you will be paying off some of the capital value of her mortgage - so when the time comes to sell there will be a tiny bit of the property that your 'funds' have paid for.

Comment

She won't make any profit were just paying off her mortgage payment each month

Comment

Originally posted by mollieframpton View Post
              She won't make any profit were just paying off her mortgage payment each month
              Yes, and that mortgage is buying her a house, which is hers to keep at the end. That is why HMRC will allow 'interest' against rental income but not all of the mortgage.

Let's take this to extremes.

Mum puts down £10k and buys £100k house with £90k mortgage.

You pay £535 a month and stay there for 25 years (mortgage amount)

Allowing for inflation, after 25 years Mum owns a house worth £200k.

That's £190k (£7,600 pa) profit but you have only paid the mortgage.

Comment

why not just give your mum the cash? and she uses it to pay the mortgage off? it's as if you don't exist. she's hardly going to evict you so no need for an AST.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                  by Ollyn
                  Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                  by ash72
                  You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                  18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                  by theartfullodger
                  You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
                  18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
                • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by Gordon999
                  The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
                  18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
                • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by banner257
                  Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
                  Thanks
                  18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
                • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                  by jpkeates
                  It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
                  18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
                • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                  by VIKKI99
                  Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
                  The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
                  Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
                  18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
                • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                  by Madmax86
                  Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
                  18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
                  by theartfullodger
                  The clue is in the name. INCOME tax. Make sure you keep all relevant records, possibly say 30 years , for CGT which on current rules you will probably pay when eventually sold. But yes, self assessment income tax to be comply and paid, online. Do you have registration for government gateway?
                  18-05-2022, 07:26 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Yes.
                  It’s income....
                  18-05-2022, 06:58 AM
                Working...
                X