Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simon_misiewicz
    replied
    Hi there RobC and welcome to property investing.

I am sure if you built an experienced team around you and you are open to many opportunities and suggestions then you will do just fine.

In regards to mortgaging your property here are some considerations:

1 - You are increasing your own personal debt, what happens if something goes wrong in your life and income dries up. I am risk averse when it comes to my personal assets and aggressive when it comes to property investing, so forgive me.

2 - The interest you can claim against your property income

3 - I work on the basis that the rent less property management costs is double the level of mortgage interest. I do this to protect myself from interest rates being pushed up.

PM me and I will send you my personal guide to property investing.

In regards to property:

1 - Work out the ROI on the property Net profit / amount of money tied up in the property and aim for about 10 - 15% (if not more)

2 - I work on the basis of rent yield (gross rent divided by purchase price) as at least 10% as this gives me a guide whether or not the property is worth renting out.

If you are a high tax earner it may be worth setting up a limited company, if you are going to have more properties, that charges you for managing the properties.

Best of luck in your property adventures.

Leave a comment:

• King_Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

I'm glad that I use an accountant to do my tax return.
    You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Thank you for the reply.

I'm glad that I use an accountant to do my tax return.

Leave a comment:

• King_Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    Hi Gordon/KIng Maker,

Could you please clarify something for me.

I thought that the interest from the re-mortgaged money could only be offset against the rental income, if the money was used exclusively for the rental business. The OP states the money is to pay off already accumulated debts.
    You are correct that it's the purpose of the loan which governs the deductibility - purchase of the property, maintenance etc are obvious ones.

However, the refinancing of the capital account(s) of the business is another - although less well known one. See example 2 from HMRC's Business Income Manual :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim45700.htm

HMRC opened the door for this deduction when the old Schedule A regime changed to a rental business a few years ago - though quite a few Tax Inspectors are still not even aware of it!! It is nothing new for a normal trading type business, and I have come across it many times for firms of solicitors, accountants etc.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Hi Gordon/KIng Maker,

Could you please clarify something for me.

I thought that the interest from the re-mortgaged money could only be offset against the rental income, if the money was used exclusively for the rental business. The OP states the money is to pay off already accumulated debts.

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    if youre looking to move to a different town/city, perhaps consider a let to buy mortgage as opposed to the usual buy to let, as others have suggested, speak to a mortgage consultant?

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    1. You have to make your own enquiries to Mortgage lenders for BTL mortgage as what you can borrow depends on your credit rating. You can find a list of BTL offers at moneysupermarket.com

2. The annual interest paid on the BTL mortgage can be charged as an expenses against the rental income to reduce rental profit (and tax.)

Leave a comment:

• King_Maker
    replied
    The short answer to 2) above is Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    If you are able to release the equity in your house, what would you use the money for?

Leave a comment:

• Tax help for someone who already owns the property they want to rent out

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the forum so please be gentle. My situation is as follows. I now own a one bedroom house in Shrewsbury having bought this over the last 25 years through a mortgage which has just completed. I have had the house on the market for the last 10 months or so without even getting as far as an offer being made to me.

My life situation is such that I want to move quite badly, so renting my house out is the next best option, particularly as the selling price I would receive now is as low it is likely to be for some time past or future. I understand that as I own the property and don’t have a mortgage that all the rent minus expenses would be taxable.

I do also have considerable debt on credit card so one avenue for me to pursue would appear to be selling part of my house back to a Bank in an equity release type mortgage to give me the money to pay these debts off in part or whole. The questions I therefore have would be as follows

1) Would I be able to get some sort of mortgage on a house I already own if this house was to be then rented out? The amount I would need to borrow would not exceed 40% of the property and I could borrow considerably less than this if there are thresholds at which it becomes cheaper to borrow or easier to obtain.
    2) Presuming the answer to 1) is yes, can I then use this mortgage (or equity loan as it would most likely be called) to offset my profit made in rent thus reducing my tax burden or would HMRC take the view that as I have already owned the property outright this offset would not be allowed?

The likely rental income on the property would be around £350 - £400 p/m and I just break into the 40% tax bracket mainly due to the amount of overtime I work so I fall into the unlucky category.

I would appreciate any assistance on a financial strategy to my situation,

Many thanks

RobC

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
    by DoricPixie
    How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
    04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
  • SDLT and first time buyers
    by mpppen
    Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
    03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
    by jpkeates
    If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
    It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
    04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
    by AndrewDod
    Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
    04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
    by mpppen
    Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
    04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
    by AndrewDod
    A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
    04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
    by mpppen
    Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
    04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
    by AndrewDod
    Capital gains tax?
    Who assessed market value?
    Are they actually paying for this?
    04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
  • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
    by AndrewDod
    Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
    04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
  • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
    by ss112233
    This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
    Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
    I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
    03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
Working...
X