Reasonable Charge for repair visit

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Reasonable Charge for repair visit

    Hi all,

    Just wondering if someone can advise me on what HMRC consider a "reasonable charge" for me to deduct as expenses when I go to my tenents flat to fix something. Obviously if I called someone out there would be a much larger call out charge (£50 or something), but if it is just something simple that I can do myslef, what can I charge (not including the parts)?

    AFAIK, nothing.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.


      Mileage @ 45p/mile, if anything. Don't think you can charge for your time.

      May be better (all round) to use a tradesperson & get a boring old invoice & charge that.
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        They get you there don't they? So I can charge 45p in total for mileage then....

        Isn't worth calling a tradesman. Toilet flush lever broke and I feel capable enough to fix that. If I called someone in, it would take a lot longer and I like to make sure things are fixed for my tenent ASAP... within 1 hour in this case. Keeps a good relationship.

        Bloomin' HMRC! Thanks for help


          No charge for one's own time. Just materials.

          But what's the point? You would only have to pay tax on it.


            I agree with the above.

            The costs to claim on repairs are materials (your time is associated with the property - you would have to pay income tax on earnings and therefore offset)
            Warm regards

            Simon Misiewicz
            Property Tax Specialist & Property Investor


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by AndrewDod
              Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
              25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
            • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by Another Fine Mess
              If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.
              24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by shipboard
              I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
              24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
            • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by gnvqsos
              I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
              24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
            • Reply to CGT query
              by Gordon999
              Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
              24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
            • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by Gordon999
              I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
              24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
            • Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
              by jpkeates
              I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
              It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
              24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
            • CGT query
              by vik238754
              Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
              23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
            • Reply to CGT query
              by jpkeates
              What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
              24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
            • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
              by mpppen
              We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

              I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
              03-03-2022, 20:00 PM