BTL remortgage fees...Allowable against rental income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL remortgage fees...Allowable against rental income?

Hi

I'm looking for some advice please.

I've been renting out a property for the last three years on a residential mortgage on a consent to lease basis. The consent expired in January so I had to remortgage to a BTL mortgage. To do this I incurred the following costs:

Solicitor fees £460
    Mortgage arrangement fee £999
    Valuation fee £270

My question is...are all of these costs allowable against rental income? and can the total (£1729) all be claimed in the tax year they were incurred or do they need to be accrued over the term of the mortgage (22 years)

I understand some of these costs would be capital costs if they were incurred during the original purchase of the property but this is a remortgage which had to be carried out to continue letting the property.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've spoken to three people at HMRC and can not get an accurate answer.

thank you

All three items should qualify as the "incidental costs of finance" and thus be deductible from rental income.
    IMHO, they should be amortised over the term of the mortgage. But this may be "impractical".

Comment

Thank you for the reply King_Maker. I would obviously prefer to claim all the costs in the same tax year, rather than amortise over 22 years. Do you know if HMRC allow this?

Sorry but what exactly do you mean by "impractical"?

Thanks

Comment

I believe amortisation to be most in line with accounting principles...

http://www.comfortlettings.co.uk/blo...g-on-your-btl-
        I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Originally posted by john981 View Post
          Thank you for the reply King_Maker. I would obviously prefer to claim all the costs in the same tax year, rather than amortise over 22 years. Do you know if HMRC allow this?

Sorry but what exactly do you mean by "impractical"?

Thanks
          It could be that HMRC are unlikely to challenge small amounts in a single year that should have been amortised over many years.

Comment

Thank you very much to King_Maker and Phlash for your replies

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT and income
                by Gordon999
                The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sa108-2022.pdf
                07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
              • CGT and income
                by slopemaster
                Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
                06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
                by slopemaster
                Thank you all
                06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
                by Lesney Park
                Yes

You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-yo...r-6-april-2020 estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
                06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
                by jpkeates
                You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
                When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
                06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
                by theartfullodger
                60 days not 2 months.
                06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
              • SDLT and first time buyers
                by mpppen
                Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
              • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                by DoricPixie
                How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                by jpkeates
                If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
              Working...
              X