Clarification SA105 box 25 (renewals) & box 36 (repairs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification SA105 box 25 (renewals) & box 36 (repairs)

Hi folks

I have read & re-read the SA105-notes, but for the avoidance of doubt I would appreciate your view on this.

I have a furnished flat on AST, now periodic tenancy. In the year I have done repairs (e.g. new tap parts £10) and replacements (e.g. new fridge £300).

SA-105-notes explains for box 25,

"Repairs
    Include in box 25 expenses that prevent the property from deteriorating such as ... <it then gives examples of maintenance type expenditure>
    Renewals
    If you are not claiming capital allowances or the wear and tear allowance, you can claim the costs of replacing furniture, furnishings and machinery supplied with your property..."

And for box 36 it says,

" ... you may claim a renewals deduction for the renewal of all such items in box 25 (renewals). Or, you may elect for a 10% wear and tear allowance by making an entry in box 36. But you cannot have both."
    (My emphasis)

So, my understanding is if I elect for the 10% allowance in box 36 then I can still claim the £10 tap repair under box 25 as it was a repair (not a renewal) but I can not claim for the £300 fridge (as this was a renewal).

Am I right?

Thanks

Originally posted by Foundation View Post
    So, my understanding is if I elect for the 10% allowance in box 36 then I can still claim the £10 tap repair under box 25 as it was a repair (not a renewal) but I can not claim for the £300 fridge (as this was a renewal).

Am I right?

Thanks
    You are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
      You are correct.
      Many thanks Claymore

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X