New Let with retainer paid - can I start claiming allowable expenses now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Let with retainer paid - can I start claiming allowable expenses now?

Hi
    It would be great if anyone knows the answer to this one.
    I have a new property which has been let from Sept 2013 with a retainer paid for July and August. Can I claim allowable expenses from the beginning of July or do I have to wait until the beginning of September when the actual tenancy period starts?

What expenses are you thinking about. Contractually the property is let so I do not see a problem. Regards Peter

Comment

Here is HMRC's leaflet on start of letting:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim2505.htm

Comment

It does not really matter as they should qualify as pre-trading expenditure.

Comment

Thanks

I was just hoping to be able to offset allowable expenses like gas and
          electricity standing charges until they move in, the broadband charge,
          insurance and mortgage interest.
          I also have not yet put in a microwave, iron et.c, but I guess I cannot
          call these 'allowable expenses' ?

Comment

Thanks for the link - very helpful.
            HMRC website is so full of info, I find it hard to get where I want to without going round in circles!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny P View Post
              I was just hoping to be able to offset allowable expenses like gas and
              electricity standing charges until they move in, the broadband charge,
              insurance and mortgage interest.
              I also have not yet put in a microwave, iron et.c, but I guess I cannot
              call these 'allowable expenses' ?
              You can - except white goods etc. A 10% (of net rents) Wear & Tear Allowance can be claimed for furnished lettings.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X