Allowable Expenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowable Expenses?

I used to be a landlord. My last tenants claimed to have sold up wanting a temporary let while they looked for another house. The Lettings Agency also claimed this. Later it transpired they were claiming Housing Benefit, rent payments became later and later.

For various reasons I needed to give them their notice, so I did this under a Section 21, giving them 2 months notice. They asked for an extension claiming that they had started conveyancing on a house purchase. I granted another month even though I did not believe the house buying story. (The Local Authority later confirmed in writing that they were on Housing Benefit).

To cut a long story short they ignored the Section 21 and wouldn't move out. I ended up paying for a Possession Order and some of the costs of an Enforcement Order. The deposit taken didn't cover all the rent arrears and the house was left in such a filthy state it took many hours of cleaning and repairs.

As I am now doing my tax return I am wondering what I can offset as expenses of the let. I presume I can deduct the cleaning and repairs, but not the unpaid rent? However I am wondering whether the legal expenses are an allowable expense of the let?

Yes you can deduct the legal expenses .

See notes about eviction of tenant under box 27 in Form SA105 Notes.

If its "unpaid rent", its not income you received during the tax year ?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/2012/SA105-Notes.pdf

Comment

IMHO, they are all allowable against rental income.

The unpaid rent becomes a Bad & Doubtful Debt when its recovery is unlikely.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify then, the unpaid rent is a bad debt and can be counted as an expense, or is it just income I never got?

We did the cleaning ourselves, the Lettings Agency said that this could be charged at £10 per hour. I wouldn't rely on this, as they were also supposed to have checked out the tenants' financial background.

Comment

Thank you, I looked at box 27 regarding the legal fees of eviction. What is the significance of the 'with a view to re-letting' note? I didn't re-let. I found the whole thing so stressful I decided not to be a landlord any more!

Comment

Originally posted by EX-LANDLORD View Post
            Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify then, the unpaid rent is a bad debt and can be counted as an expense, or is it just income I never got?

We did the cleaning ourselves, the Lettings Agency said that this could be charged at £10 per hour. I wouldn't rely on this, as they were also supposed to have checked out the tenants' financial background.
            It depends if you use the Accruals basis or Cash Basis. If the latter, Bad Debt relief is given automatically, as you have not received that rent.

You cannot charge for cleaning if you do the work yourself - except for materials.

Comment

Originally posted by EX-LANDLORD View Post
              Thank you, I looked at box 27 regarding the legal fees of eviction. What is the significance of the 'with a view to re-letting' note? I didn't re-let. I found the whole thing so stressful I decided not to be a landlord any more!
              Lets say at the time of instructing a solicitor to evict the non-paying tenant, you intended to re-let and your letting business continues until you, at a later date decided to terminate the business.

You can claim the expenses against rental income up to the date of terminating your letting business.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                by dhoops97
                Hi,

I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
                03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
              • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                by dhoops97
                This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment...
                03-08-2021, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
                by jpkeates
                It's legal.

If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
                The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
                03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
              • HMRC Section 36 notice
                by KILOCHARLIE
                Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
                02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
              • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
                by Neelix
                If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
                03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
              • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
                by spikeg33
                I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
                02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
                by spikeg33
                I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
                03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
                by theartfullodger
                Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
                03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
                by spikeg33
                Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
                03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
              • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
                by Section20z
                In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
                Council...
                03-08-2021, 08:06 AM
              Working...
              X