Apportioning mortgage interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apportioning mortgage interest

I've only found one other thread that touches on this topic (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). I just want to be sure I'm calculating / apportioning mortgage interest correctly.

My mortgage statement runs from November to October, and interest is applied annually on 31 January.

To be sure, I should divide annual interest applied by 365.

1 November to 5 April = 156 days.
    6 April to 31 October = 209 days.

So lets say interest applied is:
    £3000 / 365 = £8.22/day.

For the first tax year (156 x 8.22) = £1,282.32.
    Second tax year (209 x 8.22) = 1,717.98.

Can anyone confirm.

I'm doubting myself as I've read that deductions should be included within the tax year in which they were paid (or in this case applied).

Thanks.

Probably easier to request a Certificate of Interest Paid from the lender for the year/period ended 5 April 2013?

Comment

You only need to apportion for first tax return (1st Nov -5th Apr).

For following year tax return (6 Apr-5 Apr 2014), you should enter the interest paid for one whole year.

Comment

That won't work, as the basis period for a UK Property Rental Business is the Tax Year.

So, although one is not restricted to a 5 April year end, time apportionment is always required if any other year end is chosen.

Comment

Thanks.

Gordon - but as my interest is applied as one transaction on 31 Jan, for each financial year I will essentially have two entries.... yes ?

Comment

If you're using the cash method for accounting I think you can just have one entry on the 31st January for all the interests paid.
            Apportionment would only be potentially needed the year the rental business started.

Comment

Simpler accounting (aka Cash basis) is due to commence from 6 April 2013. By concession, HMRC have allowed small cases to use Cash basis rather than the Accruals basis. However, I suspect that these cases have been accepted due to HMRC not checking that the statutory basis had not been used, rather than a formal agreement.

Assuming that property rental businesses are not excluded, no apportionment is required for lenders who apply the interest payment annually as a single sum. However, under the new Cash basis, the deduction for interest is limited to £500. We'll have to wait and see what the actual Finance Act says.

Comment

It was the case before 6 April 2013 that cash basis could be used for rental businesses as long as gross receipts did not exceed £15k pa. as per HMRC:
                http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim1101.htm

I was not aware of that 'new Cash Basis'!

Comment

The new one is meant to be "simpler."

Comment

Originally posted by ALDB View Post
                    Thanks.

Gordon - but as my interest is applied as one transaction on 31 Jan, for each financial year I will essentially have two entries.... yes ?
                    I read your letting situation as commencing on 1st Nov 2012, so in your tax return for 2012-2013, you would apportion the annual interest charged on 31 Jan 2013 and enter the loan interest calculated for 156 days.

For the second tax return ( 2013-2014), I would just enter the annual loan interest charged on 31st Jan 2013 - because the next date for interest charged will be 31st Jan 2014 and too late for entering on the tax return which have to be submitted by 31 Oct 2013 ( paper return) or 31 Jan 2014 .

Its better if your mortgage lender supplies a certificate of tax paid.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X