Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmo - Multiple Dwelling For Sdlt?

Hi
    I would like to know would an HMO (4 unrelated students sharing 4bedrooms kitchen and dinner) be considered multiple dwelling for Sdlt relief.

No, I do not believe so.
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

The chance of 4 students sharing dinner is remote. They all come in and out at such funny times.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Phlash View Post
        No, I do not believe so.
        Could you point me to any documentation on this matter?

Comment

A call out to anyone. Im trying to find something on this on the www but havent found a dickie bird as of yet. Im sure someone has come across this. Is an HMO considered/not considered multiple dwellings for Sdlt multiple dwellings relief.

Comment

If you want to know exactly, try Finance Act 2003 s116(2)(b), which pulls student residential accommodation as a 'dwelling' and within Finance Act 2003 s116(1)(a).

Thus, I believe, for SDLT purposes the HMO is considered a single dwelling and cannot be 'carved up' to lower the transaction values.
            I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign.
              by armour
              Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
              13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
            • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
              by armour
              No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
              23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
            • Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
              by Soparles
              Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property...
              21-09-2021, 07:15 AM
            • Reply to Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
              by Soparles
              Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.
              22-09-2021, 10:51 AM
              by jpkeates
              If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
              If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from...
              22-09-2021, 09:57 AM
              by Gordon999
              ( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation...
              22-09-2021, 09:48 AM
            • SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
              by Sol_1969
              Say my wife and I buy a house as a second house. We would pay SDLT at the current rate plus 3%.

If in a few years' time we sell the house and the house has gone up by a considerable amount such that we have to pay CGT.

On selling, is the full SDLT paid recoverable against our...
              22-09-2021, 06:03 AM
            • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
              by Gordon999
              I agree with jpk. Your entry cost is £200K. + £5K sdlt + conveyancing solicitor costs + Land Registry costs.
              22-09-2021, 07:47 AM
            • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
              by jpkeates
              SDLT is a cost associated with the purchase and can be deducted from the gain before tax is calculated.
              22-09-2021, 07:36 AM
              by Soparles
              Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of...
              22-09-2021, 05:58 AM
            Working...
            X