• Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/property/sell-own-home.htm

Leave a comment:

• jonnyw
    replied
    Thanks for that. It's 1 less thing to think about!

Leave a comment:

• King_Maker
    replied
    Rather than a Loss (for CGT), you have no gain, as it is fully exempt via PPR relief.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyw
    started a topic CGT (loss) on previous residence

CGT (loss) on previous residence

I sold a house that I previously lived in for a few years, and then subsequently let out for 2 years, before selling (within the third year) of moving out.

I made a loss on both the original purchase price of the house (irrelevant ...probably), and an approximate loss of £5K (before solicitors and estate agents fees) on what the house was worth at the time we turned it into a letting 'business'.

Because I sold it within 3 years of moving out, I believe there is Private Residence Relief from CGT....

What I want to know is
    1) Because I sold it within 3 years, and am entitled to Private Residence Relief, can I still claim a loss?
    2) Is there any point in claiming a loss (if I can), given that:
    -- We have no other properties let out
    -- I have no other capital gains that I can foresee (in the next 5-10 years at least) anyway
    -- The 2012-2013 tax return is likely to be the last I fill in for a few years at least

Also, would a loss carry over automatically (indefinitely) without me filling in a Self Assessment Tax Return each year?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X