Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Ownership and Tax

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing my first development property and would like some general advise to keep me on the straight and narrow when the tax man comes knocking. My intention is to property trade, my wife is currently not working and I would like to take advantage of her tax allowance should we make any profits. I was wondering if the following was possible:

Me becoming the legal owner and my wife becoming beneficial owner via declaration/deed of trust. If this is possible ? Am I correct in assuming that any profit made from the sale of the property would be classed as my wife’s income and thus allowing her to use her tax allowance ?

If the above is correct, at what time would I need to draft the declaration/deed and what wording should it include ?

Is there anything else i need to consider ?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Have you considered a limited company for property development?

Your wife, if a shareholder, could receive dividends, and/or paid a salary.

Comment

As this is the first property we are developing, we will just stick her being self employed. Once we do a few more, we will consider a Ltd Co.

Comment

I would suggest your plan is more tax evasion than tax avoidance.

In the case of property ownership, the income is taxed on the beneficial owner as property income which is derived by the use of the asset. The tax is therefore on the beneficial owner of the asset.

For property development, the tax is on the individual creating the value, hence it is self employment income and not property income. Since your wife would not seemingly be doing the work, but you just arbitrarily allocating the profits, it would seem that you are taking a risk that the setup is more evasion than avoidance.

Within the structure of a Company you may seek to distribute distributable profits in whatever fashion you like via the share structure as the property trading profits are at least correctly being taxed under Corporation Tax rules.
        I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

My wife will be creating the value, as she will be appointing the builders, trades, etc and project managing the process. I am simply the legal owner as the mortgage will be in my name. She is currently not in employment due to looking after the kids, her return to work was hindered by inflexible working hours so she has decided to refurb properties. Due to no income she can't apply for a mortgage. I read on HMRC's website that person A can be the legal owner and person B the beneficial owner via a valid Declaration of Trust.

Comment

Originally posted by NavSG View Post
            My wife will be creating the value, as she will be appointing the builders, trades, etc and project managing the process. I am simply the legal owner as the mortgage will be in my name. She is currently not in employment due to looking after the kids, her return to work was hindered by inflexible working hours so she has decided to refurb properties. Due to no income she can't apply for a mortgage. I read on HMRC's website that person A can be the legal owner and person B the beneficial owner via a valid Declaration of Trust.

This is an interesting post. Is there any more information that will back NavSG intentions? To me this sounds totally plausible and not tax evasion, just simply making better use of tax options available.

Comment

Yes this can be done. Be carefull about the the % of Beneficial Interest and your mortgage interest. If you disposed of the property with 100% beneficial interest to your wife then you can not claim the mortgage fees and interest. You will have to adjust the DofT prior to any exchange of contract. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Recent tax return
                by Ailers
                Hi, new here, sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find the answer.

I have just completed my tax return for 2020/21 as a landlord with a few properties. My income was 22k and my outgoings (maintainance, ground rent, insurance, mortgage payments etc) was 18k. The mortgages are...
                24-01-2022, 22:42 PM
              • Reply to Recent tax return
                by jpkeates
                I suspect that you completed the return incorrectly.
                25-01-2022, 09:30 AM
              • Reply to 50/50 ownership versus rental split
                by AndrewDod
                Yes (if you are spouses)
                Probably wise to use a lawyer
                CGT not relevant as you can freely transfer between spouses for CGT purposes (even shortly before a sale)...
                25-01-2022, 08:52 AM
              • 50/50 ownership versus rental split
                by Deeks67
                Hi guys , I have recieved some inaccuratre advice ( not from this site ) RE ownership and rental income split . my wife and I have 2 unemcumbered properties which are renting out , the first started renting in Oct 2020 and the second started in July 2021 . Both properties are in joint names 50/50 (...
                25-01-2022, 06:24 AM
              • Tax return
                by pchaure
                Hi
                New to this, buy to let property got in 2018 but renewing took time and COVID hit. Rented out since Dec 2020. I had Electrical work done completed in 2019, as had no income I had not filled in self assessment. Can I claim it in this tax year?
                24-01-2022, 19:05 PM
              • Reply to Tax return
                by jpkeates
                If it was first let in December 2020, the costs allowable against income prior to that take place on the first day of the first tenancy for tax purposes.

So, if you mean can you claim it on a tax return for April 2020 to April 2021, the answer is yes.
                You can't claim it for this tax...
                24-01-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Advice
                by jhoggard
                Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
                20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
                23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by jpkeates
                I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
                At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
                23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
              • Reply to Advice
                by SouthernDave
                i concur with James, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders.
                23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
              Working...
              X