HMO = Income from Property or self employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMO = Income from Property or self employment

I am looking for some feedback on a response I have had from HMRC. A friend has a large house and they have 3 lodgers, which makes them a HMO.
    They need and want to declare the income to HMRC and I would say it should be declared under income from property, but HMRC have said it should be treated as business income.

This doesnt seem right, its their own home and I have always thought lodgers rent is income from property.

Has anyone else come across this or did I just find a tax officer who was confused.

thanks
    Helenka2020

Income from property is normally declared on Form SA105 . Download the SA105 notes for completing this form and check if it is correct for your friend.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
      Dan_Manchester
      Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
      16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
    • Short tax return
      samsam
      I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
      16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
    • Reply to Short tax return
      theartfullodger
      Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
      https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
      16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
      samsam
      Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
      Thanks
      Sam
      16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
      theartfullodger
      When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
      16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
    • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
      Alice88
      Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
      Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
      We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
      14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
    • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
      Gordon999
      If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
      15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
    • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
      TRQUIZ
      Hi,

Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
      If the larger share is given outright as a gift

If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
      07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
    • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
      Stu2222
      Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
      15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
    • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
      TomNelson
      This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
      14-01-2018, 15:58 PM
    Working...
    X