HMO = Income from Property or self employment

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HMO = Income from Property or self employment

    I am looking for some feedback on a response I have had from HMRC. A friend has a large house and they have 3 lodgers, which makes them a HMO.
    They need and want to declare the income to HMRC and I would say it should be declared under income from property, but HMRC have said it should be treated as business income.

    This doesnt seem right, its their own home and I have always thought lodgers rent is income from property.

    Has anyone else come across this or did I just find a tax officer who was confused.


  • #2
    Income from property is normally declared on Form SA105 . Download the SA105 notes for completing this form and check if it is correct for your friend.


    Latest Activity


    • Offset against tax
      I purchased a flat which needed a bit of work done on it, no doubt some would have rented as is. The kitchen had 3 different kitchen units in for some reason with all different doors, it was cheaper to install new kitchen than replacing doors, fitted a bath cause there was no bath before, just a homemade...
      11-06-2017, 07:32 AM
    • Reply to Offset against tax
      YOU didn't buy for cash (hopefully...) the corporate body did.

      Now, how did the company come by all that cash?

      Who's/what's bank account was used to pay?

      Investigation of both you (human) & company (not human) could be expensive, long drawn-out & painful....
      24-07-2017, 11:32 AM
    • Reply to Offset against tax
      I think I'd get a new accountant.

      Over the life of the business, you might end up paying less tax this way - if corporation tax reduces, the tax cost of any gain will be less than the tax cost of the expenses, but that's a remote future event against a tax payment this year.

      24-07-2017, 10:28 AM
    • Reply to Offset against tax
      In 2016-2017 i purchased 2 properties, both cash so no mortgage repayments etc. I have asked a few questions in relation to what is a maintenance/repair expense or capital and i thank you for the answers. I submitted my end of year accounts to my accountant, when i submitted them i stipulated that i...
      24-07-2017, 10:06 AM
    • tax rate question
      Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
      is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

      Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
      Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
      £40000-11,500 =...
      20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
    • Reply to tax rate question
      jpkeates not according to my accountancy textbook! (And I got 86% in the Personal Tax module so I'm pretty confident). I can dig it back out of the box tomorrow to double check though...

      [The reason I didn't take off the £11.1k capital allowance was pure laziness - although I did say...
      22-07-2017, 19:45 PM
    • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
      Hi All.
      Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
      We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
      The question I...
      20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
    • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
      One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11
      22-07-2017, 13:41 PM
    • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
      Whilst this is considered current best practice, and is in the RICS guidelines, the legislation that would have put it into effect was never "commenced", so it isn't a legal requirement. It is still true that it isn't the managing agent's money; it belongs to the service charge trust fund,...
      22-07-2017, 13:08 PM
    • Reply to tax rate question
      leaseholder64 seems to confirm jpkeates worst fears.

      I would add that there are number of things, e.g. pension contributions not paid by the employer, and gift aid, that you can offset against the work salary. Additional income must be added, although, if that...
      22-07-2017, 12:42 PM