Brand New - Recommend a Manchester Based ACCT.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brand New - Recommend a Manchester Based ACCT.

    Ok, brand new to all the BTL milarky and am about to buy my first (and maybe only) property, both my wife and i work full time and would like to hear from anyone who can recommend a tax person who could assist (ie do) all the relevant tax forms etc i know i need to complete with getting a BTL.
    I live just outside Manchester.


  • #2
    Is it worth employing an accountant to do the tax return if it is only one property? It's very easy to do an on-line self assessment. If you phone the tax office, they will send you the paper work to fill out (and instruction booklet) plus give you the option to do your return on line.

    But, if you are like me and leave things to the last minute, probably best to get an accountant! Sorry I don't know of any in your area.


    • #3
      Thanks for that, i thought it would be complicated, i will give them a bell and have a look at it all prior to trying to find an accountant.


      • #4
        How are you going to own the property and have you considered how to minimise your Income Tax. Regards Peter


        • #5
          Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
          How are you going to own the property and have you considered how to minimise your Income Tax. Regards Peter
          Hi, i was going to have it on a BTL with a 25% deposit on a repayment mortgage and the minimising of my tax is why i wanted to speak with an accountant. I intend to have it over 15 years with, of course, the intention of owning it outright after that period, both my wife and i work full time.


          Latest Activity


          • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
            Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
            21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
          • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
            It's nothing to do with the income being taxable - that's just a red herring.
            It's not allowed because HMRC has decided it's not - it's part of the job of being a landlord.

            If it were to do with the income being taxable, someone who earned less than the tax free allowance could happily...
            22-08-2017, 10:26 AM
          • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
            Put another way, are you planning to declare the income you earn from doing this work (and pay tax on it)?
            22-08-2017, 10:09 AM
          • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
            You cannot charge for your own time against the rental income because its still part of your annual income for income tax calculation.
            22-08-2017, 06:03 AM
          • Capital Gains Tax Query

            I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

            First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
            21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
            If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

            If you have a...
            21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
          • Clarification on ATED
            Hi guys,

            Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

            For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
            21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
          • Reply to Clarification on ATED
            If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
            • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
            • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

            The 10% banding thresholds...
            21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
          • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
            I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

            Providing below details, will my spouse...
            02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
          • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
            If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
            21-08-2017, 15:57 PM