property joint-ownership and treatment of rental income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

property joint-ownership and treatment of rental income

Can anyone give me some general advice regarding joint-ownership of rental property and the treatment of rental income.

My wife and I are considering buying a property for rental purposes. For the purposes of CGT (when we ultimately sell) it would be more cost-effective for us to own the property jointly but as I am a higher-rate tax-payer it would be more cost-effective if my wife acts as the landlord and receives all of the rental income in her name.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the rental income from the property can be declared as being all my wife's income even though we would be joint-owners.

Why not register the property in you wife's name only? When the time come to sell transfer the property into joint names. Asset transfers between husband and wife are CGT free.

Comment

Thanks for that response Paul - 2 further questions as a result...

1 - Would the Inland Revenue get a bit twitchy about that? Might they take the view that the transfer was done purely as a means of avoiding CGT?

2 - Presumably I would not be able to claim any taper relief on my share of the gain as I would not have owned my share of the property for any length of time (although my wife would have).

Comment

Originally posted by barry99 View Post
        Thanks for that response Paul - 2 further questions as a result...

1 - Would the Inland Revenue get a bit twitchy about that? Might they take the view that the transfer was done purely as a means of avoiding CGT?

2 - Presumably I would not be able to claim any taper relief on my share of the gain as I would not have owned my share of the property for any length of time (although my wife would have).
        No need for HM Revenue & Customs to get twitchy, surely.
        Tax avoidance is perfectly lawful; tax evasion isn't.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Consider buying in joint names as ''Tenants in common''. Keep 1% in your name and 99% in your wife's name. The ownership shares are dealt with by way of a Trust Deed which is an internal document unconnected with the Title Deeds and the Mortgage Deed.

This will assist considerable when you wish to change the ownership back to 50/50 in due course.

If you share in 1% and 99%, ie unequal, you will need to notify this fact to Tax Office on a special form, otherwise they will deem the income as shared equally.

Ramnik
          Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
            by theartfullodger
            See..
            https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
            18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
          • Let Property Campaign.
            by armour
            Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
            13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
            by armour
            Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
            Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
            Chris
            18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
          • Reply to Overseas Landlords
            by Santa Fe
            Boletus, thank you.
            17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
          • Overseas Landlords
            by Santa Fe
            I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
            16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
            by jpkeates
            armour - Sorry, I don't know.
            It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
            17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
            by armour
            Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
            17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
          • Reply to Overseas Landlords
            by boletus
            You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
            16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
            by jpkeates
            The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
            The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
            If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
            16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
            by armour
            Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
            15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
          Working...
          X