Accounting for rent received before due date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting for rent received before due date

First, I'm assuming that if rent is payable in advance it is still earned on the due date and not at end of period it relates to.

So my question is about accounting for rent received before the due date. E.g. rent payable monthly in advance but tenant pays 6 months up front.
    In such case my understanding is that rent becomes earned on a monthly basis, as it becomes due.

How do you account for this?

My current thinking from research:
    - debit 'bank' asset account to record payment received,
    - credit 'deferred income' liability account for same amount,
    - debit deferred income account as rent becomes due and credit income in P&L.

Does this sound right?

Regarding tax, if using cash method, should revenues be credited of the full 6 months worth of rent payment as soon as payment is received?

I'm trying to further my understanding of accounting, so I have rather academic questions, I hope that's alright...

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Offset against tax
    swampydrill
    I purchased a flat which needed a bit of work done on it, no doubt some would have rented as is. The kitchen had 3 different kitchen units in for some reason with all different doors, it was cheaper to install new kitchen than replacing doors, fitted a bath cause there was no bath before, just a homemade...
    11-06-2017, 07:32 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    theartfullodger
    YOU didn't buy for cash (hopefully...) the corporate body did.

Now, how did the company come by all that cash?

Who's/what's bank account was used to pay?

Investigation of both you (human) & company (not human) could be expensive, long drawn-out & painful....
    24-07-2017, 11:32 AM
    jpkeates
    I think I'd get a new accountant.

Over the life of the business, you might end up paying less tax this way - if corporation tax reduces, the tax cost of any gain will be less than the tax cost of the expenses, but that's a remote future event against a tax payment this year.

24-07-2017, 10:28 AM
    swampydrill
    In 2016-2017 i purchased 2 properties, both cash so no mortgage repayments etc. I have asked a few questions in relation to what is a maintenance/repair expense or capital and i thank you for the answers. I submitted my end of year accounts to my accountant, when i submitted them i stipulated that i...
    24-07-2017, 10:06 AM
  • tax rate question
    vik2001
    Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
    is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
    Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
    £40000-11,500 =...
    20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
  • Reply to tax rate question
    emwithme
    jpkeates not according to my accountancy textbook! (And I got 86% in the Personal Tax module so I'm pretty confident). I can dig it back out of the box tomorrow to double check though...

[The reason I didn't take off the £11.1k capital allowance was pure laziness - although I did say...
    22-07-2017, 19:45 PM
  • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
    lampshade
    Hi All.
    Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
    We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
    The question I...
    20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
  • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
    leaseholder64
    One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11 https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...ce-charge-acco...
    22-07-2017, 13:41 PM
  • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
    leaseholder64
    Whilst this is considered current best practice, and is in the RICS guidelines, the legislation that would have put it into effect was never "commenced", so it isn't a legal requirement. It is still true that it isn't the managing agent's money; it belongs to the service charge trust fund,...
    22-07-2017, 13:08 PM
  • Reply to tax rate question
    leaseholder64
    https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/rates seems to confirm jpkeates worst fears.

I would add that there are number of things, e.g. pension contributions not paid by the employer, and gift aid, that you can offset against the work salary. Additional income must be added, although, if that...
    22-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Working...
X