Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remortgage ERC as financial charge

Hi,

I remortgaged a flat in July and started letting it from September.
    When I remortgaged, the lender charged me Early Repayment Charge of £2,505.

Could anyone advice me whether ERC can be claimed as financial charge of the tax year?

Many thanks!

Was the early repayment charge wholly and exclusively a cost of your rental business?

Comment

Thanks for your response JaneK2011.
      I cannot decide whether it is or isn't.
      I had to take out the remortgage out to make initial capital for buying house and letting the flat out. The whole purpose is to start the rental business.

Comment

If the remortgage was to buy yourself a property for you to live in then I don't believe that is wholly for your rental business. I know it is related as you couldn't have had a rental business if you didn't buy yourself somewhere to live but you personally benefited too.

As you are allowed to remove capital from your business, I'm prepared to be corrected on this matter. However your business had not yet started.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from although I don't think it matters whether my property investment business started or not as you can claim expenses which you spent prior to business commencement.

Comment

I understand you can incur expenses before the busines begins but I don't know if you can withdraw capital from a business that doesn't yet exist. Therefore I still believe the expense doesn't pass the 'wholly and exlusively' test. It might be worth consulting an accountant.

Comment

Thanks JaneK2011.
              I will check up on financial adviser and accountant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
                Dan_Manchester
                Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
                16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
              • Short tax return
                samsam
                I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
                16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
              • Reply to Short tax return
                theartfullodger
                Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
                16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
                samsam
                Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
                Thanks
                Sam
                16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
                theartfullodger
                When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
                16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
              • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
                Alice88
                Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
                Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
                We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
                14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
              • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
                Gordon999
                If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
                15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
              • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
                TRQUIZ
                Hi,

Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
                If the larger share is given outright as a gift

If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
                07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
              • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
                Stu2222
                Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
                15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
              • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
                TomNelson
                This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
                14-01-2018, 15:58 PM
              Working...
              X