Home and Flat (Let) Which Mortgage to Quote on Tax Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home and Flat (Let) Which Mortgage to Quote on Tax Claim

I have two properties; one house (my residence) and one buy to let flat. Mortgage on the house is £200k, mortgage on the flat is £136k.

As is often the way with these things....the informal advice I have received suggests that I quote the maximum mortgage cost whichever property that is on - when submitting my tax claim. Figures would be £7000 on the house versus £3800 on the flat - both interest only of course.

I have my doubts about this as the rules state that one can claim mortgage interest relief when the a mortgage is raised for the sole purpose of purchasing a letting property.

The difference is substantial and will change my small profit into loss (and hence no tax to pay) on the flat.

NB When I bought the house I increased the mortgage on the flat to release £50k to buy the house.

Any help appreciated - thanks.

I don't think that's right. As far as I'm aware you can only claim the mortgage interest on the rental property. However if you borrowed money elsewhere to use in your property business, such as on you home or through a loan, then the interest from that borrowing is an allowable expense. However you must be able to evidence that the funds borrowed were directly used in you property businesss.

Comment

Thanks, I suspected it was hokum - or more likely other people chancing it.... I have submitted the lower value for the flat specific mortgage.

Thanks again.

Comment

People get confused and often don't realise the distinctions that make something allowable in one situation but non-allowable in others. For example I know someone that purchased a buy to let by remortgaging their home as it was better for them. In that case the funds were directly used by the property business and therefore the interest is an allowable expense. However those that don't know the details may think that they shouldn't be using the mortgage interest on their own home as an expense, or may think that anyone can!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New government tax legislations
          Damo-h666
          Hi thinking about buying my first buy to let property. With the new government tax legislations proposed to hit us by 2020 is it actually worth it. I would be repaying the capital aswell as the interest. Am I right in understanding that the government will tax me on the full rental income and not just...
          25-07-2017, 14:38 PM
        • Reply to New government tax legislations
          Damo-h666
          Ah i think i get it, but i was hoping to repay the capital can this be used as an expense claim or not??
          25-07-2017, 17:15 PM
          tillerman
          Personal Allowance Up to £11,500 0%
          Basic rate £11,501 to £45,000 20%
          25-07-2017, 16:45 PM
          Damo-h666
          Can you explain this interest allowance in a little bit more detail aswell please??...
          25-07-2017, 15:15 PM
          Damo-h666
          Ok thanks for your help how do I determine whether I am a high or low rate tax payer?? If I am a high rate tax payer will it be a substantial difference? My salary is around 33k a year.....
          25-07-2017, 15:05 PM
          jpkeates
          By 2020, you will be taxed on the income, but you can claim 20% of the interest amount paid as an allowance.
          So, for most basic rate tax payers, there isn't a change.
          For all high rate tax payers, more tax will be payable.

For a small number or base rate tax payers who were...
          25-07-2017, 14:55 PM
        • Offset against tax
          swampydrill
          I purchased a flat which needed a bit of work done on it, no doubt some would have rented as is. The kitchen had 3 different kitchen units in for some reason with all different doors, it was cheaper to install new kitchen than replacing doors, fitted a bath cause there was no bath before, just a homemade...
          11-06-2017, 07:32 AM
        • Reply to Offset against tax
          tatemono
          yeesh... glad I am a person and not a company... much simpler!...
          25-07-2017, 09:35 AM
          jjlandlord
          A company will pay corporation tax instead of CGT, but otherwise it will be the same as for an individual: You calculate the company's capital gain once the asset is sold then the company pays corporation tax on that gain.

The accountant is right that capital expenses (like creating a bath)...
          25-07-2017, 07:56 AM
          theartfullodger
          YOU didn't buy for cash (hopefully...) the corporate body did.

Now, how did the company come by all that cash?

Who's/what's bank account was used to pay?

Investigation of both you (human) & company (not human) could be expensive, long drawn-out & painful....
          24-07-2017, 11:32 AM
        Working...
        X