Home and Flat (Let) Which Mortgage to Quote on Tax Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home and Flat (Let) Which Mortgage to Quote on Tax Claim

I have two properties; one house (my residence) and one buy to let flat. Mortgage on the house is £200k, mortgage on the flat is £136k.

As is often the way with these things....the informal advice I have received suggests that I quote the maximum mortgage cost whichever property that is on - when submitting my tax claim. Figures would be £7000 on the house versus £3800 on the flat - both interest only of course.

I have my doubts about this as the rules state that one can claim mortgage interest relief when the a mortgage is raised for the sole purpose of purchasing a letting property.

The difference is substantial and will change my small profit into loss (and hence no tax to pay) on the flat.

NB When I bought the house I increased the mortgage on the flat to release £50k to buy the house.

Any help appreciated - thanks.

I don't think that's right. As far as I'm aware you can only claim the mortgage interest on the rental property. However if you borrowed money elsewhere to use in your property business, such as on you home or through a loan, then the interest from that borrowing is an allowable expense. However you must be able to evidence that the funds borrowed were directly used in you property businesss.

Comment

Thanks, I suspected it was hokum - or more likely other people chancing it.... I have submitted the lower value for the flat specific mortgage.

Thanks again.

Comment

People get confused and often don't realise the distinctions that make something allowable in one situation but non-allowable in others. For example I know someone that purchased a buy to let by remortgaging their home as it was better for them. In that case the funds were directly used by the property business and therefore the interest is an allowable expense. However those that don't know the details may think that they shouldn't be using the mortgage interest on their own home as an expense, or may think that anyone can!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
          Dan_Manchester
          Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
          16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
        • Short tax return
          samsam
          I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
          16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
        • Reply to Short tax return
          theartfullodger
          Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
          16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
          samsam
          Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
          Thanks
          Sam
          16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
          theartfullodger
          When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
          16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
        • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
          Alice88
          Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
          Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
          We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
          14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
        • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
          Gordon999
          If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
          15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
        • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
          TRQUIZ
          Hi,

Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
          If the larger share is given outright as a gift

If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
          07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
        • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
          Stu2222
          Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
          15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
        • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
          TomNelson
          This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
          14-01-2018, 15:58 PM
        Working...
        X