Capital Gains Exemption?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Gains Exemption?

I bought a property and lived in it for three and a half years. I moved out and rented it out for six years. I moved back in for a further year. Moved out and have been renting up until now.

I would like to sell the property sometime this year do I need to move back in for a certain period of time to avoid paying Capital Gains tax after the property has been sold?

The months you lived there are exempt from CGT if the property was your principle private residence. Because you once lived there the last 36 months are also exempt. You then also qualify for Letting Relief because you initially lived there before letting the property out. You also get to deduct expenses from your gain such as buying and selling costs along with any capital expenditure on the property. After all of that you also have an annual allowance so you will only pay tax on any gain left that is in excess of £11,200. You don't say how long you've owned it but there would have to be quite a gain for you to be liable.

Comment

I think you mean £10,600. OP, Why did you leave the property, for work ot to work abroad. Regards Peter

Comment

Sorry I thought it had increased for 2012/13 but I confused that allowance with another.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
          I think you mean £10,600. OP, Why did you leave the property, for work ot to work abroad. Regards Peter
          I moved out of the property to work in a different area.

Comment

Your are exempt for 4 yeras if away working in the UK and after your return to the property a further 3 years. Letting releif will apply and I doubt there will be and CGT laibility but I need the all the dates at leat the MM/YYYY and vlaue at purchase and expected sale price to tell you for sure. Regards Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
              lampshade
              Hi All.
              Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
              We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
              The question I...
              20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
            • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
              leaseholder64
              There is someone starting from the same misunderstandings in this thread: http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/v...es-t28896.html The thread covers both the trust and exemption aspects.

I don't think they end up convinced, but that's their problem.
              21-07-2017, 10:42 AM
              leaseholder64
              It appears to be exempt, so they can't claim back the VAT even if the money passes through their books.

Section 42 creates a statutory trust out of the service charges, although there may well have been one implied by the lease. Any service charge you pay on account (e.g. at the beginning...
              21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
              leaseholder64
              This FTT ruling gives some more information (in a case that proved an exception to the exemption rules): http://landschamber.decisions.tribun...RX-48-2015.pdf The ruling notes the law is not too clear.

One point to note is that, according to https://www.g...
              21-07-2017, 10:24 AM
              lampshade
              hi
              thanks again for the replies.
              To be clearer if I may.

As normal we all pay an annual service charge to cover things like cleaning, gardens, common electric, general maintenance. And I know that all of these services are from one man businesses that are not VAT registered....
              21-07-2017, 10:22 AM
              leaseholder64
              I would have thought that it was the section 42 trust that is being charged VAT, not the agent. Obviously the agent's fees are subject to their VAT status, and if they provide maintenance services in house, they would be subject to their status.

Although not quite the same, my bank charges...
              21-07-2017, 09:49 AM
              jpkeates
              If the service agent is VAT registered, they have to charge VAT - it's not optional.

Companies don't claim back the VAT they charge, they pay HMRC the VAT they charge less the VAT they are themselves charged (calculated once every quarter.

So, if the agent is charged £10000...
              21-07-2017, 08:28 AM
            • tax rate question
              vik2001
              Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
              is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
              Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
              £40000-11,500 =...
              20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
            • Reply to tax rate question
              emwithme
              You will pay 18% on some (the amount that takes you to the higher rate threshold, so the first £32,000 of taxed income - the amount that's taxed if it's income at 20%) and then 28% on the rest.

For example, if your total earned income is £40,000 and your capital gain (after allowances)...
              20-07-2017, 20:36 PM
              lampshade
              thanks for taking time to post. Maybe I have not explained what I am meaning. I am not talking about paying cash to avoid VAT, that is illegal.

But if VAT is paid on a bill by our service agents, (say £10,000 + £2,000VAT) and because that service agent is VAT registered, I assume they...
              20-07-2017, 19:56 PM
            Working...
            X