compliance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compliance

Hi ,I duly sent off my tax self assesements by end of October, at April 2009 I was running at a loss £3387yesterday I received a letter form a Tax Office not the one I sent my paperwork to saying that I owed them £400 on my salary and savings, I work for the NHS so my tax is deducted at source on pAYE and the little bit of money I made on savings is deducted at source, no mention was made of my proerty rental I only had it rented out for 7 months the last financial year I think I only made a £30 profit on the rental, it is worrying on the letter they have made no mention about property income it is a bit worrying of wat the HMRC want to do and I think a phone call is needed

Suggest looking at your P60. Taking the total sum of all income, bearing in mind what you submitted to HMRC, and plug it into an online tax calculator.

Try to reconcile what HMRC are doing/not doing. They should have sent you a calculation?
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

compliance

Hello I have just had a letter from HMRC compliance team, they were not happy with my return,I am still running at a loss, do they normally look a things with a fine tooth comb? I think my arithmatic is correct do they issue penalties if people do things wrong?

Ironically the letter said tax year til April2011 but I assume they mean April 2012,

I have been trying without success trying to phone the number it is a 0191 it says number not recognised.

Inbetween tenants I paid for a gardner to sort out neighbours over hanging trees is that deductable?

many thanks

cmb

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
        I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by cmb View Post
          Hello I have just had a letter from HMRC compliance team, they were not happy with my return,I am still running at a loss, do they normally look a things with a fine tooth comb? I think my arithmatic is correct do they issue penalties if people do things wrong?

Ironically the letter said tax year til April2011 but I assume they mean April 2012,

I have been trying without success trying to phone the number it is a 0191 it says number not recognised.

Inbetween tenants I paid for a gardner to sort out neighbours over hanging trees is that deductable?

many thanks

cmb
          Yes the Gardener is deductible as long as the house was still part of your letting business, i.e. you didn't move in etc.

Check the HMRC website for contact numbers.

Are you submitting your SA online? It certainly reduces the ability to make mistakes.

AFAIK HMRC both choose tax returns at random to check and also have a filtering/alert system. If your return just doesn't add up, looks suspicious or you have been running at a loss for a number of years you are going to be picked up for an 'enquiry': http://www.litrg.org.uk/low-income-w...re_Rev_looking

Lastly, also in relation to your post from a couple of years ago, remember you cannot offset rental losses against 'earned' income. So HMRC is going to treat your employed wages as a separate issue from your rental income/losses. So it could easily be the case that you have tax to pay on your wages even though you make a rental loss.
          caveat emptor
          If it sounds like I know what I am talking about........I don't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mortgage arrangement fees
            Laurasplog
            I am aware that remortgage arrangement fees etc. can be counted as an allowable expense, and I am also aware that purchase costs of a new property cannot be counted as an allowable expense.

I cannot find out if the mortgage arrangement fees for a new BTL property can be counted as an allowable...
            28-07-2017, 20:28 PM
          • Reply to Mortgage arrangement fees
            jpkeates
            If it's a personal purchase, they're allowable (they're allowable for a business too, just differently) - is the business already in being, with the new property being added to an existing portfolio, or is this the first property of a new business?
            29-07-2017, 09:57 AM
          • Rental losses and S24
            Sandi
            Hi All

I have large rental losses brought forward and just wondered how they interact with the new S24 legislation.

I am concerned that the way the calculation will work means that I effectively do not get any relief for this years mortgage interest.

if anyone...
            29-07-2017, 08:20 AM
          • Reply to Rental losses and S24
            jpkeates
            Carried forward losses, if applied, reduce income (the loss is a cost).
            I don't really see how that interacts with the changes in interest relief, though.
            29-07-2017, 09:55 AM
          • First Time Self-Assessment: Help please
            Matt_J
            Hi All,

I am in the process of registering for Self-assessment to declare the income and pay the tax on my property for tax year 16/17.

I understand I don't actually need to do this until October 17 but I need to do now as I need to borrow against my residential mortgage, and...
            26-07-2017, 12:06 PM
          • Reply to First Time Self-Assessment: Help please
            jpkeates
            It's not beyond challenge, as married couples are taxed individually, but it's probably fine.
            Tax follows beneficial ownership, and if your finances are pretty much all merged it should be fine.

Normally any attempt to keep finances separate works the other way, as one person tries...
            29-07-2017, 09:51 AM
          • Reply to First Time Self-Assessment: Help please
            tatemono
            for the record, I've been filing returns since 1998 and have never been asked for receipts. I still keep them though and I do this electronically by scanning everything into the relevant folders for each property. I also keep a separate record of income and expenses in Excel as they occur and the spreadsheet...
            28-07-2017, 15:01 PM
          • Jointly Owned by married couple
            scampicat
            Hi, my husband and I own our investment property 50-50 tenants-in-common. No mortgage. We are Pensioners, each claiming a SRP and Occupational Pension.

Can I fill in the Self-Assessment form with all the income and expenses in my name (as I will have to pay far less tax than him), or...
            05-06-2017, 07:37 AM
          • Reply to Jointly Owned by married couple
            jpkeates
            If your husband is joining the mortgage, not just the title, that does make more sense, and will cause the problem outlined by the lender.
            Your husband is basically paying half the mortgage liability for a tiny percentage of the property.

You could talk to a solicitor to see if there's...
            28-07-2017, 07:58 AM
          • Reply to Jointly Owned by married couple
            ddq
            This is progress. I went to lender, they are happy to charge small fee to add partner on mortgage. But their personal advice is as it's joint mortgage, HMRC will deem it as 50% of mortgage balance for stamp duty. It's about 100k so 0+3%. I have 2 options (1) pay off the mortgage then add partner then...
            28-07-2017, 06:46 AM
          Working...
          X