CGT due if owner non resident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT due if owner non resident?

My daughter is a British citizen who has been living abroad for 6 years. She is considered Not Resident and Not Ordinarily Resident by HMRC. She owns a house in the UK which she now wants to sell. The house has been tenanted during her absence, but as she has a large mortgage the net assessable rents fall below her Personal Allowance and she pays no UK tax. (She has no other income in the UK).
    My question is, will the capital gain arising on the sale be subject to UK tax? I have heard, some years ago, that non residents escape this tax. Is this still correct, or has the law changed?
    Also, will there be any difficulty in transferring the anticipated net gain of approx. £100,000 out of this country to the USA? Can I assume that documents supporting her sale of the property would counteract any suspicion of money laundering?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Nora

Originally posted by Nora Kay View Post
    My daughter is a British citizen who has been living abroad for 6 years. She is considered Not Resident and Not Ordinarily Resident by HMRC. She owns a house in the UK which she now wants to sell. The house has been tenanted during her absence, but as she has a large mortgage the net assessable rents fall below her Personal Allowance and she pays no UK tax. (She has no other income in the UK).
    My question is, will the capital gain arising on the sale be subject to UK tax? I have heard, some years ago, that non residents escape this tax. Is this still correct, or has the law changed?
    Also, will there be any difficulty in transferring the anticipated net gain of approx. £100,000 out of this country to the USA? Can I assume that documents supporting her sale of the property would counteract any suspicion of money laundering?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Nora
    (1) Provided she does not return to the UK until after the tax year of sale, she will not pay any UK CGT. But she must check her exposure, if any, to the country where she is resident during the year of sale.

(2) There are no exchange control restrictions in the UK. Therefore, there is no reason why she cannot transfer the monies to anywhere in the world. In your daughter's case, there does not appear to be any problems in being able to demonstarte the origin of the source of funds being transferred abroad.

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Ramnik
      Many thanks for your reply.
      My daughter will be visiting the UK from 14th March to 11th April 07 in order to instruct an estate agent re the sale of her house, and sort out the tenancy etc. The house will most likely be sold during the tax year ending 5/4/08 some time after her return to the USA. You advised that she should not return to UK until after the end of the tax year of sale, so will her visit mean that CGT will be payable?
      Her proposed length of stay in 2007/2008 (6 days) will not make her Resident for the coming tax year.

Comment

If she has a Green Card, be cautious!
        ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Ramnik
          Many thanks for your reply.
          My daughter will be visiting the UK from 14th March to 11th April 07 in order to instruct an estate agent re the sale of her house, and sort out the tenancy etc. The house will most likely be sold during the tax year ending 5/4/08 some time after her return to the USA. You advised that she should not return to UK until after the end of the tax year of sale, so will her visit mean that CGT will be payable?
          Her proposed length of stay in 2007/2008 (6 days) will not make her Resident for the coming tax year.
          I should have said that she should not become resident of the UK. Visits within the permitted lengths are OK.

But do check the USA tax position.

Ramnik

Comment

Ramnik,
            Thank you for this clarification.
            I shall ensure she checks the USA tax position.
            Thanks once again,
            Nora

Paragon,
            Can you tell me how you think this would affect her GreenCard?
            Thank you,
            Nora

Comment

Ramnik,
              Thanks once again,
              Nora

Paragon,
              Can you tell me how you think this would affect her GreenCard?
              Thank you,
              Nora
              Sorry, won't affect the Green Card, but being a resident of the USA, you need to check the tax position.
              ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Comment

Paragon,
                OK.
                Ta.
                Nora

Comment

Ramnik,
                  Thanks once again,
                  Nora
                  Nora, you are welcome.

Sometimes I wonder whether it is a good idea to sell an investment property which is tenanted and where there is a large mortgage for the following reasons:

(1) If it is tenanted and the property is in a resonably good tenant demand area, why rock the boat and why not let the tenant continue paying your mortgage?

(2) Presence of a large mortgage means that the net amount realised may not be material in many instances. In such cases, one has ended up losing potential future gains for relatively small amount.

(3) In many cases, where money is required for other purposes, this could be achieved by remortgaging the property instead of selling it.

It goes without saying that each person has to weigh up the situation in their own particular circumstances and do what is best for them. It is just that many people end up selling properties without considering all the factors and alternatives.

Ramnik

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Let Property Campaign.
                    by armour
                    Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                    13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
                  • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                    by theartfullodger
                    See..
                    https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
                    18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
                    by armour
                    Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
                    Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
                    Chris
                    18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
                  • Overseas Landlords
                    by Santa Fe
                    I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
                    16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                  • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                    by Santa Fe
                    Boletus, thank you.
                    17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    armour - Sorry, I don't know.
                    It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
                    17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                    by armour
                    Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
                    17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
                  • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                    by boletus
                    You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
                    16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
                    The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
                    If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
                    16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
                    by armour
                    Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
                    15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
                  Working...
                  X