Is furniture tax deductible on new purchase of property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is furniture tax deductible on new purchase of property?

Is furniture (such as sofas, dining table and bed) a tax deductible cost on the purchase of of a new property which is going to be let fully furnished. Are light fittings classed as furniture?

If furniture is tax deductible, is it an annual expense or a capital expense?

My understanding is that with furnished property you can either claim the 10% wear and tear allowance or the cost of replacements. So not the initial cost in either case. I've always opted for the 10% but there may be circumstances where the replacement basis is more beneficial. An example could be where you buy a fairly dated furnished property and find that it doesn't let well so decide to upgrade the furnishings to improve the return.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM3200.htm

Comment

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. If I were to flip the property, would I be able to declare brand new furniture as a capital expense?

Comment

Originally posted by nantes View Post
        Thanks for the information. Very helpful. If I were to flip the property, would I be able to declare brand new furniture as a capital expense?
        It would be an income expense, as your flip profits would be taxed as income and not as a gain.
        I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

Comment

What does flipping a property mean, please?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

http://sarahsuperbreak.files.wordpre...down-house.jpg

Have you not seen one of these before?

Comment

Looks like a flippant reply to me.
              I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                What does flipping a property mean, please?
                "Flipping" a house consists of buying a run-down property below market price, increasing its value somehow, and rapidly re-selling it for a quick profit.

Comment

Thank you Mrs Mug!
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
                    http://sarahsuperbreak.files.wordpre...down-house.jpg

Have you not seen one of these before?
                    Seen one?I feel as though I live in one, most of the time!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                      globularity
                      I am currently living with my parents and have rented my flat out, this is the only property I own, and I lived there 12 years renting and 1 year as an owner. I am happy to move back in if this helps me to not have to pay capitol gains. Just read somewhere if its your principle home theres no capitol...
                      17-08-2017, 22:13 PM
                    • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                      Gordon999
                      1. The calculation of capital gain starts from the date of purchase of your property up to date of your sale date. If you paid 100K and sold for 160K , then your capital gain is 60K. The capital gain during period of living at the property + 18 months after moving away is exempt from capital gains...
                      18-08-2017, 15:04 PM
                    • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                      jpkeates
                      When did you buy it, between what dates did you live in it, rent it out and when do you plan to sell it?
                      17-08-2017, 23:10 PM
                    • Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                      bhodgkiss
                      Hi there

I'm buying a btl with my partner (not married)

i believe we can do the mortgage under tenants in common (as opposed to joint tenants), then sign a declaration of trust to adjust the income split 99:1 (instead of 50:50). She's doesn't work.

Is it that simple...
                      17-08-2017, 06:22 AM
                    • Reply to Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                      bhodgkiss
                      Many thanks, yes I had read the bit about if one of us dies etc.

Ok we'll go for the standard joint tenancy, as I believe we can simply draw up a document for her to get 100% income anyway from what's been said here (and other threads)
                      17-08-2017, 15:45 PM
                      jpkeates
                      There are other differences between married couples and non-married couples that kick in.
                      You need to look at the totality of the situation, not focus on one part of it.

If you are married and one of you dies, the surviving spouse inherits the deceased's property automatically....
                      17-08-2017, 10:55 AM
                      bhodgkiss
                      Many thanks

So aside from ownership implications if we ever split up, surely HMRC will be happiest in assessing rental income if we have a tenants in common ownership 99:1?

Then rental split follows ownership split?

Also if we get married it'll need to swap to...
                      17-08-2017, 09:04 AM
                      jpkeates
                      Which is why joint tenants is the better route.
                      There's no defined split in ownership.

How the business then arranges its affairs is then, more or less, up to the business.
                      17-08-2017, 08:49 AM
                      Raju Gajurel
                      As you are not married, HMRC will look for the real beneficial ownership of the property. The factors such as who put down the deposit, who receives and spends rent, etc will become important. So, if your partner owns 99% of the house, then there would not be any issue from HMRC. But, this means she...
                      17-08-2017, 08:18 AM
                      jpkeates
                      That's necessary for married couples.

As unmarried partners you can purchase as joint tenants (which is probably better for you in some other ways) and decide how you split the income.
                      You should probably document the income split and both sign it.
                      17-08-2017, 08:14 AM
                    Working...
                    X