Rental Income Loss

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rental Income Loss

    Wonder if someone can give some advise regarding rental income losses. Is it possible to carry your losses to future years and if so what is the time limit under UK tax rules.

  • #2
    Yes, only usable against property profits.

    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


    • #3
      Last year I have also bought the freehold of the flat together with other owners who have also bought the freehold for their flats. Can this be set against the income for last year. When can you find information as to what is allowed and what isn't.


      • #4
        1. Your annual rental income and allowable expenses should be reported on annual tax return Form SA 105 ( )

        Lines 39- 43 are your entries for reporting loss from last year , loss this year and to carry forward .
        The SA 105( 2012)Notes will explain what can be claimed as allowable expenses.

        2. The cost contribution for collective purchase of the freehold title will be added to your purchase cost of the leasehold flat and deducted from the sales proceeds after you sell, to calculate the CGT tax on your capital gain. Its not an expenses allowed against letting income.


        • #5
          Thank you Gordon, this information is most helpfull.


          Latest Activity


          • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
            Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
            21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
          • Capital Gains Tax Query

            I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

            First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
            21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
            If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

            If you have a...
            21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
          • Clarification on ATED
            Hi guys,

            Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

            For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
            21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
          • Reply to Clarification on ATED
            If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
            • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
            • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

            The 10% banding thresholds...
            21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
          • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
            I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

            Providing below details, will my spouse...
            02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
          • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
            If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
            21-08-2017, 15:57 PM
          • Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
            A bit of background: I am interested in getting on to the buy-to-let property ladder, to give myself passive income on top of my daytime job. I intend to start a limited company so that I can save on some tax. As such, I will be buying any rental properties via the limited company.

            21-08-2017, 11:08 AM
          • Reply to Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
            Yes, they're the same rates.
            The way they're accounted for can be different, though as a company doesn't have capital gains tax to account for.
            21-08-2017, 12:29 PM
          • Reply to Clarification on ATED
   seems fairly clear already, but the way I read it (as someone without a personal interest):

            1) Open market value. If you paid for it at full market value, from an independent...
            21-08-2017, 11:56 AM