Transfer of beneficial interest

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transfer of beneficial interest

    I have a jointly owner property with a mortgage. The joint owners are not a couple but other family members. We want to transfer the rental income from the property to 100:0, so only one has to do tax returns. How would we do this and do we need a lawyer for the paperwork? Can this be done with a Deed and what would this Deed be called?

  • #2
    You should consult the local Hmrc office or a taxation accountant as to what document is acceptable for the joint owners to declare all the rental income goes to one of the joint owners.


    • #3
      Hi, you first need to establish what kind of Joint ownership you have - is it a declared 'Joint Tenancy' (effectively equal shares) or as 'tenants in common' (you each own a defined % even if equal). This will be important for the wording of any document you need drawn up and will have a massive effect on what happens if one of you died or wanted to sell their share.

      As far as I know you cannot just declare to HMRC that one owner only is the landlord, but it might be possible to justify it, especially if one owner only was managing the let, doing maintenance, paying all expenses etc. *In that case just declare the income on one self assessment and have evidence to prove one owner doing everything if audited (unlikely). *This would probably only justify an unequal share however, not a 100%-0% split.

      Assuming you are 'tenants in common' then in theory under s53(c) Law of Property Act 1925, then to dispose of (transfer) an equitable interest you only need a document in writing signed by the owners, although check for standard formats (land registry website). You then need to inform land registry. Most people use a lawyer or conveyancer to do this.

      However there are massive pitfalls.

      1. Once you have transferred the interest then it stands, so if one of you wanted to use your share or pass it on in your will, you would not be able to. The person holding 100% would could leave it all to their kids or even sell it and you would have little come back save some very costly and drawn out legal proceedings. The only way to get round this is to make matching wills and sign an agreement to transfer the interest back if needed. But you have to trust you family not to change their wills and hope HMRC knows nothing of the agreement unless they take the view that the transfer is not bona fide and slap you with the tax at a later date.

      2. CGT. You are liable for CGT on any transfers between you and your family (except your spouse), unless you and all the other owners have lived in the house in the last 3 years - even if no money changes hands. If you give away the interest, then they take what you bought it for (or market value when you got it) and take away its market value now. Of course you won't pay CGT if its within your allowance (£10,600) or if the market value has decreased, which may have happened in the current market.

      Personally I would not transfer the interest with anyone but my wife, as the CGT, Wills, etc problems don't arise. But if you get different advice from a lawyer or tax accountant I'd be really interested to hear it.
      caveat emptor
      If it sounds like I know what I am talking about........I don't.


      Latest Activity


      • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
        Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
        21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
      • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
        You cannot charge for your own time against the rental income because its still part of your annual income for income tax calculation.
        22-08-2017, 06:03 AM
      • Capital Gains Tax Query

        I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

        First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
        21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
        If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

        If you have a...
        21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
      • Clarification on ATED
        Hi guys,

        Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

        For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
        21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
      • Reply to Clarification on ATED
        If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
        • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
        • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

        The 10% banding thresholds...
        21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
      • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
        I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

        Providing below details, will my spouse...
        02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
      • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
        If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
        21-08-2017, 15:57 PM
      • Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
        A bit of background: I am interested in getting on to the buy-to-let property ladder, to give myself passive income on top of my daytime job. I intend to start a limited company so that I can save on some tax. As such, I will be buying any rental properties via the limited company.

        21-08-2017, 11:08 AM
      • Reply to Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
        Yes, they're the same rates.
        The way they're accounted for can be different, though as a company doesn't have capital gains tax to account for.
        21-08-2017, 12:29 PM