Tax on Freehold Company income from selling a lease extension

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax on Freehold Company income from selling a lease extension

    I have an unusual situation which I haven't been able to find any help on so far:

    I have two companies. The first (the freehold company) just owns the freehold on our building. The second (the maintenance company) manages the maintenance of the building.

    Recently, a leaseholder (who is not a member of the freehold company and owns no share of the freehold) has asked for a lease extension. This will cost roughly £60k.

    At the same time, the management company is about to spend £60k on some major repair works to the building.

    Can I transfer the 60k from the freehold company to the management company so as to show a zero balance sheet in both companies and avoid corporation tax?

    At the moment, the only way I can see to get the funds there is to pay out a dividend to the individuals comprising the freehold company (24% corporation tax plus 32.5% dividend tax for each individual on the remainder), and then have the individuals pay the funds into the management company.

    Is there a way around this?


    If the freehold company can opt to repair and has not assigned all those duties to the Man Co in the leases, it can use its funds, and recover the balance of its costs from shareholders, if they all agree, and any non participants in service charge via the Man Co.

    The man co can also agree to allow the freeholder to do this work, however if the man co is made up of all leaseholders, and the freeholder company only some, this may raise objections as the man co would have to get 100% agreement from its members.

    it sounds like poor advice, normally if there are less than 100% participation in the freehold purchase, you would treat the % due from non participants as loan capital which is repayable ( through the sale of lease extensions or buying into the freehold) thereby reducing tax liability.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.


      If the freehold company receives 60k for lease extension, it will be counted as income and the year end profit is chargeable to 20% coporate tax ( small company profit below 300K is charged at 20% rate )

      Since the freehold company owns the building,it can decide to make repairs and the expense can be charged against the company's income to reduce the year end profit. The Man Co members will not object if the repair work to building is done at freeholder's expense and at no charge to Man Co.

      Best to check the tax situation with a local accountant who does the annual accounts for freehold company. Check if repair bills must be paid direct by the freehold company and what minutes of meeting are required on record to confirm the repair expenses are chargeable to income. A lump sum transfer to Man Co might to open to claim that its a loan.


        Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
        If the freehold company receives 60k for lease extension, it will be counted as income.
        I could be wrong but wouldn't this be a capital gain rather than income? If a lease is extended that must reduce the value of the freehold reversion - so a part disposal of a freehold interest?


          OP's question was asking if they could spend their entire income on repairs in building and not leave any income liable to tax ?.

          Here's hmrc latest rates for charging corporation tax and it makes no mention of capital gains tax:


            Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            OP's question was asking if they could spend their entire income on repairs in building and not leave any income liable to tax ?.

            Here's hmrc latest rates for charging corporation tax and it makes no mention of capital gains tax:

            The proceeds from a lease extension isn't income - it's a capital gain on part disposal of a freehold interest. Companies are liable to Corporation tax on profits. Profits include capital gains.



              Simon, what you are talking about here is called transfer pricing. If you want tips on that, you should talk to Starbucks who seem to be experts at it.
              The profit making company could pay a managment charge to the loss making company and effectively wipe out the profit. However, any charge that is made needs to be commercially justified. ie at an arms length price.
              However, the simplest soloution would be, if every shareholder agrees, is for the profit making company to do the repair.
              Incidentally, Mr Green is right. This would appear to be a capital gain, so indexation allowane would be available. Any gain after that would be chargeable to corporaiton tax and not capital gains tax.


                Thanks everyone. Plenty to think about over my coffee tomorrow morning. -


                Latest Activity


                • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
                  Evening all,

                  We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

                  The planners have requested...
                  16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
                • Short tax return
                  I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
                  16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
                • Reply to Short tax return
                  Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:

                  Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
                  16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
                • Reply to Short tax return
                  Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
                  16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
                • Reply to Short tax return
                  When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
                  16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
                • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

                  I need some advice so please for help.

                  My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
                  Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
                  We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
                  14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
                • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
                  If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
                  15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
                • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT

                  Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
                  If the larger share is given outright as a gift

                  If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
                  07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
                • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
                  Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
                  15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
                • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
                  This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
                  14-01-2018, 15:58 PM