what amount would you be taxed on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what amount would you be taxed on?

I am new to this and have a complicated situation... I have a property with a buy to let mortgage on, my mam has a mortgage free property. We would like my mam to be able to rent out her property for say £500/month, then if she paid me the same rent per month would she be taxed on her rent? what would be the calculation for offsetting tax against interest etc?

I'm not an expert, so seek more qualified advice but my understanding is:

You would both be taxed on the £500 a month (but not if any other earnings added to this didn't exceed the personal tax threshold). You can claim tax relief on your buy to let mortgage.

Comment

1. Your mam's rental profit = 500 x 12 = 6000 pds minus house insurance , repairs & maintenance etc.

2. Her tax will be calculated as " annual income from work" plus "rental profit" minus "personal free allowance at 8105 pds" = income taxable at 20% or 40% rate.

3. Your own "rental profit" will be further reduced by annual interest on your mortage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
        Dan_Manchester
        Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
        16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
      • Short tax return
        samsam
        I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
        16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to Short tax return
        theartfullodger
        Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
        https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
        16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
        samsam
        Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
        Thanks
        Sam
        16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
        theartfullodger
        When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
        16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
      • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
        Alice88
        Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
        Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
        We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
        14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
      • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
        Gordon999
        If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
        15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
      • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
        TRQUIZ
        Hi,

Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
        If the larger share is given outright as a gift

If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
        07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
      • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
        Stu2222
        Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
        15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
      • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
        TomNelson
        This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
        14-01-2018, 15:58 PM
      Working...
      X