Renting out a room to a really filthy lodger...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Renting out a room to a really filthy lodger...

    If I rent out a room to someone, I believe the first £4000 or so is tax exempt. As it should be. Fine – I get this. And then, when it’s above this amount, I’d have to pay tax on the “profit,” right? – e.g. what he/she pays over and above the £4k. So, say he/she paid £400 a month to me? Well, this would equate to £4,800 a year, meaning I’d have to pay 20% of that £800 to HMRC (assuming that’s the tax barrier I’m at, of course)…so, by my reckoning, the tax man would get about £200 from me per year. Right?

    But...Here’s where things get a bit weird. For instance, as a leaseholder, if I’ve been served, during the course of my ownership, various projects that I’ve been expected to pay towards by the freeholder/managing agent e.g. having to pay towards replacement windows/block maintenance costs etc...well, can it be argued that my ‘profit’ isn’t actually profit because I’ve incurred costs directly due to my homeowner/leaseholder status? In fact, how far do other costs as a homeowner get taken into account e.g. insurance, service charges etc?

    Also, does anyone know where the profit/"not to profit" line actually gets drawn? For instance, if I pay £1000 a month to my bank and rent out a room at £400 a month and I one day decided to voluntarily start paying back far more to my mortgage lender as an overpayer, does HMRC view the BASIC amount I should be paying on my mortgage monthly as the line where the profit margin gets implemented? With me on this? I hope someone can help! Thanks!!

  • #2
    If you opt in to the rent a room scheme, you cannot offset any expenses against your income.
    However, you can opt out of the scheme.
    If you opt out of the scheme, you can claim expenses against income. The election may be worth it if your rent from the lodger is over the limit.


    • #3
      Thanks. This is very helpful.


      Latest Activity


      • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        Hi All.
        Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
        We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
        The question I...
        20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        It appears to be exempt, so they can't claim back the VAT even if the money passes through their books.

        Section 42 creates a statutory trust out of the service charges, although there may well have been one implied by the lease. Any service charge you pay on account (e.g. at the beginning...
        21-07-2017, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        This FTT ruling gives some more information (in a case that proved an exception to the exemption rules): http://landschamber.decisions.tribun...RX-48-2015.pdf The ruling notes the law is not too clear.

        One point to note is that, according to https://www.g...
        21-07-2017, 10:24 AM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        thanks again for the replies.
        To be clearer if I may.

        As normal we all pay an annual service charge to cover things like cleaning, gardens, common electric, general maintenance. And I know that all of these services are from one man businesses that are not VAT registered....
        21-07-2017, 10:22 AM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        I would have thought that it was the section 42 trust that is being charged VAT, not the agent. Obviously the agent's fees are subject to their VAT status, and if they provide maintenance services in house, they would be subject to their status.

        Although not quite the same, my bank charges...
        21-07-2017, 09:49 AM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        If the service agent is VAT registered, they have to charge VAT - it's not optional.

        Companies don't claim back the VAT they charge, they pay HMRC the VAT they charge less the VAT they are themselves charged (calculated once every quarter.

        So, if the agent is charged £10000...
        21-07-2017, 08:28 AM
      • tax rate question
        Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
        is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

        Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
        Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
        £40000-11,500 =...
        20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
      • Reply to tax rate question
        You will pay 18% on some (the amount that takes you to the higher rate threshold, so the first £32,000 of taxed income - the amount that's taxed if it's income at 20%) and then 28% on the rest.

        For example, if your total earned income is £40,000 and your capital gain (after allowances)...
        20-07-2017, 20:36 PM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        thanks for taking time to post. Maybe I have not explained what I am meaning. I am not talking about paying cash to avoid VAT, that is illegal.

        But if VAT is paid on a bill by our service agents, (say £10,000 + £2,000VAT) and because that service agent is VAT registered, I assume they...
        20-07-2017, 19:56 PM
      • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
        The service charge account pays the bills + VAT from each separate supplier.

        The managing agent may charge their annual fee + 20 % VAT. ( turnover is over £80K p.a )

        The electric company charges cost ( for units consumed on domestic property ) + 5% VAT.

        20-07-2017, 15:21 PM