Self Assessment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Self Assessment

    I let my property in November 2011, I am about to complete a tax return for that period, however someone has told me that I should have done this before January 2012 and because I have not I could be fined about £1000. Grateful if someone could clarify this. Regard

    #2
    Originally posted by max5445 View Post
    I let my property in November 2011, I am about to complete a tax return for that period, however someone has told me that I should have done this before January 2012 and because I have not I could be fined about £1000. Grateful if someone could clarify this. Regard

    You need to complete a tax return to show how much you made for the period November 2011 - April 5th 2012, but if you do it online you have until January 31st 2013. If you are doing it on paper you only have until October 31st 2012.

    And the fine for late submission is nowhere like £1000 - nearer £100, I think.

    If this is new territory for you, I strongly advise you to engage the services of an accountant - at least for your first tax return. They can advise you about all the things you can offset against tax and in many cases they save you more money than they cost you to employ them.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      You need to complete a tax return to show how much you made for the period November 2011 - April 5th 2012, but if you do it online you have until January 31st 2013. If you are doing it on paper you only have until October 31st 2012.

      And the fine for late submission is nowhere like £1000 - nearer £100, I think.

      If this is new territory for you, I strongly advise you to engage the services of an accountant - at least for your first tax return. They can advise you about all the things you can offset against tax and in many cases they save you more money than they cost you to employ them.
      Thank you for your response. If an accountant does it on my behalf, does he have until the end of Jan 2013 to submit

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by max5445 View Post
        Thank you for your response. If an accountant does it on my behalf, does he have until the end of Jan 2013 to submit
        Yes, he does.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

        Comment

        Latest Activity

        Collapse

        • Reply to CGT and income
          by Gordon999
          The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

          https://assets.publishing.service.go...sa108-2022.pdf
          07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
        • CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
          06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Thank you all
          06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by Lesney Park
          Yes

          You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-yo...r-6-april-2020 estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
          06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by jpkeates
          You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
          When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
          06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by theartfullodger
          60 days not 2 months.
          06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
        • SDLT and first time buyers
          by mpppen
          Hello again.

          Just wondering if someone can advise.

          If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

          If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
          03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by DoricPixie
          How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
          04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by jpkeates
          If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
          It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

          There's obviously...
          04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by AndrewDod
          Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
          04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
        Working...
        X