paying myself a wage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    paying myself a wage

    At some point i will go and see a tax adviser but i would like a bit of knowledge beforehand. I am now in a position to hopefully pay myself a wage from the houses which i rent out. If i make for example £25,000 before tax from renting property and i want to pay myself say £1,500 a month, what would be the best practice in terms of tax/business proceedures. As i manage my own properties should i set up a separate letting business and transfer £1,500 into it a month. Would i be paying 2 lots of tax? Any ideas please.

    You cannot really "pay yourself a wage" unless you are trading as a limited company.
    Any money you take out of the business is drawings and not a wage. Drawings are not taxable as you should have already paid tax on the profits.
    I am assuming that you are a sole trader?
    If you are a company, the position is different.


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to CGT and income
      by Gordon999
      The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

      07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
    • CGT and income
      by slopemaster
      Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
      06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
    • Reply to CGT and income
      by slopemaster
      Thank you all
      06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
    • Reply to CGT and income
      by Lesney Park

      You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
      06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
    • Reply to CGT and income
      by jpkeates
      You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
      When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
      06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
    • Reply to CGT and income
      by theartfullodger
      60 days not 2 months.
      06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
    • SDLT and first time buyers
      by mpppen
      Hello again.

      Just wondering if someone can advise.

      If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

      If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
      03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
    • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
      by DoricPixie
      How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
      04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
    • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
      by jpkeates
      If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
      It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

      There's obviously...
      04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
    • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
      by AndrewDod
      Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
      04-07-2022, 14:45 PM