Council tax liability order

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Council tax liability order

    Hi all,

    I realise this isn't an entirely relevant forum, but I wonder if someone could give me some advice.

    My girlfriend graduated from Uni this summer, and prematurely left her rented student accomodation on 2nd Feb 2012 after agreeing exit terms from the contract with the landlord. She did this because she would stay with me (I live in the city of the Uni she attended) or go back to her parents in Essex. The landlord subsequently replaced her with another tenant (also a student). When she first moved into the property, she informed the council that all tenants were students, and the council were satisfied that no council tax is due.

    Neither of us have heard a thing until today, when a friend who remained in the property in question contacted her to let her know a letter had arrived from the council, and that it "looks important". We drove to the property, and discovered that a liability order had been granted by the magistrates court against my girlfriend only (the 3 other tenants, and all the new tenants are not mentioned). The liability relates to unpaid council tax from 01 April 2012 to 31 March 2013, the whole amount is mentioned.

    Obviously, when my girlfriend moved out, she informed the council by telephone that she was moving out of the property, and to take her off the bill (which was exempt anyway). Due to her inexperience with life, she did not ask for this request to be acknowledged by letter.

    We have proof of her student status (a degree), the original contract for the property and the letter from the landlord informing her that the contract had been absolved mutually on 2nd Feb 2012.

    We will be going to the council offices tomorrow with this evidence, but I am concerned it might be too late, since a liability order has been granted.

    Where does she stand on this please? Surely it cannot be correct that she is made to pay any of this?

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Did your girlfriend get a council tax exemption certificate from her university? When i was at university you had to get this and send it to the council. Not every student qualifies for exemption so having a degree isn't certainly proof that you aren't due to pay council tax.


      She is exempt, she was a full time student studying on a 3 year degree course, entirely generic circumstances. The council sent her and her student housemates a form to fill in, which they did, and the council replied (at the time) with a bill showing the exemption had been applied. She does not have a copy of this bill (showing 0.00 owed) available unfortunately, but I would imagine the council have a copy.


        Situation now resolved after a meeting with the council tax staff. The account has been closed with no amount owing, and liability order ceased.


        Latest Activity


        • CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Considering selling our rental property and trying to estimate how much CGT is due. We are both basic rate tax payers and the gain from the property will take us into higher rate, so the amount of tax we pay will depend on income for that year – it does vary year to year. I presume the relevant income...
          06-07-2022, 05:47 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by Gordon999
          The capital gains Tax form SA108 is submitted after sale of property .

          07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by slopemaster
          Thank you all
          06-07-2022, 14:47 PM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by Lesney Park

          You do, or better an accountant but essentially you report and pay the gain at HMRC estimating what you need to, and then report it again essentially in your tax return...
          06-07-2022, 08:34 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by jpkeates
          You estimate your income for this year and declare and pay the tax accordingly.
          When you complete your tax return for the tax year, the figures are adjusted then....
          06-07-2022, 08:27 AM
        • Reply to CGT and income
          by theartfullodger
          60 days not 2 months.
          06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by DoricPixie
          How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
          04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
        • SDLT and first time buyers
          by mpppen
          Hello again.

          Just wondering if someone can advise.

          If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

          If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
          03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by jpkeates
          If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
          It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

          There's obviously...
          04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
        • Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
          by AndrewDod
          Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
          04-07-2022, 14:45 PM