10% Wear and tear Allowance on subsetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% Wear and tear Allowance on subsetting?

10% Wear and tear Allowance on subletting?

Recently a company offered me to rent my furnished flat for slightly lower (15 to 20%) than market rent, guranteed for 12 months at a time for 3 years. They will then let it out to "professional" tennants at the market rent and manage as well, (with repairs at cost), taking on the risk of empty periods. The question is: will I be able to claim 10% W&T allowance, or should they be caliming it? and at what rent?

Thanks

Its an "allowance" claimed on your tax return - not the letting company's tax return !

It is best to choose an established letting agent on the High St if you want "professional tenants" and you can vet their references before the selected tenant moves in. Letting agents based too far away from your property , do not look after your property.

Comment

Originally posted by tenant29 View Post
      Its an "allowance" claimed on your tax return - not the letting company's tax return !

It is best to choose an established letting agent on the High St if you want "professional tenants" and you can vet their references before the selected tenant moves in. Letting agents based too far away from your property , do not look after your property.
      The company is not a letting agent. They sub-let after taking properties on longer leases. The problem is I am too far from the property in question and this company is loacated closer. Since they will be letting the property out to tenants and checking the refereces, and collecting the rent; the risk is their's if the tenant does not pay. I should be getting the agreed rent on the head lease for 12 months of the year.

They will be claiming the wear and tear allowance based on the rents received for themselves. Since I am giving the property out fully funrnished, I wanted to find out if I can claim wear and tear allowance from the rent I will get.

Thanks
      Regards
      Sober

Comment

Tax is not always logical, but if you apply the logic to this one, the wear and tear allowance is due to the person wo lets the property AND owns the furniture etc.

As you probably know, you can decide at the outset whether you claim W&T or renewals. If you had chosen renewals, and you had to replace a sofa, say, who would be entitled to the renewal allowance ? You or the "company" ? In my opinion you, if you have replaced the item.

Comment

Originally posted by Chartered Tax Adviser View Post
          Tax is not always logical, but if you apply the logic to this one, the wear and tear allowance is due to the person wo lets the property AND owns the furniture etc.

As you probably know, you can decide at the outset whether you claim W&T or renewals. If you had chosen renewals, and you had to replace a sofa, say, who would be entitled to the renewal allowance ? You or the "company" ? In my opinion you, if you have replaced the item.
          Thanks CTA, that puts a logical framework, which does make it a bit easier to understand. Hence, according to this I should be claiming the allowance and not the company subletting the property on.

I have been on W&T bases form day 1 - hence the W&T question. Logically speaking - the company manging the property is building its margin by renting it for a bit less from me and letting it our for a bit more to the tenants. Normally W&T is based on the rent received before deductions of letting expense - whereas what I will be getting in hand will be net of these expenses. So should the 10% be on the actual rent received from the ultimate tenants?

Regards
          Sober

Comment

Wear & Tear Allowance is a concession and not a legal entitlement.

You claim 10% of the rent you receive (net of tenant's expenses which you pay, if any, eg, council tax, electricity, gas etc). It is not 10% of what your tenant (the agent) charges to the sub-tenant (the ultimate tenant).

Another way of looking at this is that the agent is your tenant and that there are no letting fees.

Ramnik
            Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Thanks Ramnik for your succinct reply. Much appreciated.

Can the agent-tenant claim 10% W&T on the rent they receive from the sub-tenant on the basis of letting out furnished property?

If an item of furniture breaks they will be replacing it; whereas I will be repalcing things after a number of years.

Regards
              Sober

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by Trevor62
                Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
                19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
              • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                by mpppen
                Hello,
                We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
              • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                by Gordon999
                You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
                19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
              • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                by Ollyn
                Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                by ash72
                You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                by theartfullodger
                You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
                18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
              • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by Gordon999
                The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
                18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
              • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by banner257
                Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
                Thanks
                18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
              • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
                by jpkeates
                It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
                18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
              • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
                by VIKKI99
                Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
                The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
                Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
                18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
              Working...
              X