10% Wear and tear Allowance on subsetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% Wear and tear Allowance on subsetting?

10% Wear and tear Allowance on subletting?

Recently a company offered me to rent my furnished flat for slightly lower (15 to 20%) than market rent, guranteed for 12 months at a time for 3 years. They will then let it out to "professional" tennants at the market rent and manage as well, (with repairs at cost), taking on the risk of empty periods. The question is: will I be able to claim 10% W&T allowance, or should they be caliming it? and at what rent?

Thanks

Its an "allowance" claimed on your tax return - not the letting company's tax return !

It is best to choose an established letting agent on the High St if you want "professional tenants" and you can vet their references before the selected tenant moves in. Letting agents based too far away from your property , do not look after your property.

Comment

Originally posted by tenant29 View Post
      Its an "allowance" claimed on your tax return - not the letting company's tax return !

It is best to choose an established letting agent on the High St if you want "professional tenants" and you can vet their references before the selected tenant moves in. Letting agents based too far away from your property , do not look after your property.
      The company is not a letting agent. They sub-let after taking properties on longer leases. The problem is I am too far from the property in question and this company is loacated closer. Since they will be letting the property out to tenants and checking the refereces, and collecting the rent; the risk is their's if the tenant does not pay. I should be getting the agreed rent on the head lease for 12 months of the year.

They will be claiming the wear and tear allowance based on the rents received for themselves. Since I am giving the property out fully funrnished, I wanted to find out if I can claim wear and tear allowance from the rent I will get.

Thanks
      Regards
      Sober

Comment

Tax is not always logical, but if you apply the logic to this one, the wear and tear allowance is due to the person wo lets the property AND owns the furniture etc.

As you probably know, you can decide at the outset whether you claim W&T or renewals. If you had chosen renewals, and you had to replace a sofa, say, who would be entitled to the renewal allowance ? You or the "company" ? In my opinion you, if you have replaced the item.

Comment

Originally posted by Chartered Tax Adviser View Post
          Tax is not always logical, but if you apply the logic to this one, the wear and tear allowance is due to the person wo lets the property AND owns the furniture etc.

As you probably know, you can decide at the outset whether you claim W&T or renewals. If you had chosen renewals, and you had to replace a sofa, say, who would be entitled to the renewal allowance ? You or the "company" ? In my opinion you, if you have replaced the item.
          Thanks CTA, that puts a logical framework, which does make it a bit easier to understand. Hence, according to this I should be claiming the allowance and not the company subletting the property on.

I have been on W&T bases form day 1 - hence the W&T question. Logically speaking - the company manging the property is building its margin by renting it for a bit less from me and letting it our for a bit more to the tenants. Normally W&T is based on the rent received before deductions of letting expense - whereas what I will be getting in hand will be net of these expenses. So should the 10% be on the actual rent received from the ultimate tenants?

Regards
          Sober

Comment

Wear & Tear Allowance is a concession and not a legal entitlement.

You claim 10% of the rent you receive (net of tenant's expenses which you pay, if any, eg, council tax, electricity, gas etc). It is not 10% of what your tenant (the agent) charges to the sub-tenant (the ultimate tenant).

Another way of looking at this is that the agent is your tenant and that there are no letting fees.

Ramnik
            Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Thanks Ramnik for your succinct reply. Much appreciated.

Can the agent-tenant claim 10% W&T on the rent they receive from the sub-tenant on the basis of letting out furnished property?

If an item of furniture breaks they will be replacing it; whereas I will be repalcing things after a number of years.

Regards
              Sober

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                by DoricPixie
                How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
              • SDLT and first time buyers
                by mpppen
                Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                by jpkeates
                If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                by mpppen
                Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
                04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
                by AndrewDod
                A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
                04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                by mpppen
                Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
                04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Capital gains tax?
                Who assessed market value?
                Are they actually paying for this?
                04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
              • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                by AndrewDod
                Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
                04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
              • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                by ss112233
                This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
                Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
                I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
                03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
              Working...
              X