Selling one rental property and using all of the proceeds to buy another rental

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling one rental property and using all of the proceeds to buy another rental

Hi

I understand that if you sell a rental property you have to pay CGT.

I have a ground floor two bed maisonette that I'm considering disposing of, but I want to buy either a two bed house or an upstairs two bed maisonette straight away.

Is there anyway I can avoid CGT? I'd be reinvesting every single penny.

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
    Hi

I understand that if you sell a rental property you have to pay CGT.

I have a ground floor two bed maisonette that I'm considering disposing of, but I want to buy either a two bed house or an upstairs two bed maisonette straight away.

Is there anyway I can avoid CGT? I'd be reinvesting every single penny.
    You have a £10k-ish annual allowance, and can count various items against CGT I think.

How much did you spend on improvements?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/property/calc-cgt.htm#4

How much is your actual taxable capital gain, bearing in mind that house prices have collapsed in the last 5 years and your profile says you are a newish LL?

Do you have any tax losses you can offset against the gain?

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Or tax losses you can crystallise by selling shares, for instance.

Or a wife?

There is no relief for reinvestment, sorry.

Comment

Hi

I bought below market value so I don't have any loses in that area. After accounting for my renovation costs to it, my gross profit would be about £30K. My CGT allowance is around £10K I think, then I could add other tax loss of about £1k. So I guess my CGT bill will be based on about £19K.

I'm not married at the moment (maybe next year or the year after) - but my husband (I am female) to be is in a higher tax bracket.

If I sold soonish - and the payment I have to give to Mr HMRC is based on 19K, I'm a lowish earner - so would my figure be 18% of £19k?

Comment

The taxable gain (the £19k) would be added to your earnings/other income and that might push the rate up to 28% on part of the gain. So it depends on your level of income. For 2012/13 the personal allowance is £8,105 and the basic rate band is £34,370. So, add the taxable gain to your earnings/other income and if it takes you over £42,475 (that’s £8,105 plus £34,370) the excess will be taxed at 28% rather than 18%.

I don’t suppose you ever lived there did you? That would change things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Green View Post
            The taxable gain (the £19k) would be added to your earnings/other income and that might push the rate up to 28% on part of the gain. So it depends on your level of income. For 2012/13 the personal allowance is £8,105 and the basic rate band is £34,370. So, add the taxable gain to your earnings/other income and if it takes you over £42,475 (that’s £8,105 plus £34,370) the excess will be taxed at 28% rather than 18%.

I don’t suppose you ever lived there did you? That would change things.
            No, I haven't lived there. I might just come in under the higher tax bracket. Many thanks.

Comment

Remember your acquisition costs, SDLT ect and your slaes and legal fees are deductible against the gross gain. Regards Peter

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
                Remember your acquisition costs, SDLT ect and your slaes and legal fees are deductible against the gross gain. Regards Peter
                Thanks Peter.

Comment

How long have you held it, and how long has it been let out?

Comment

Purchased in 2009 and always let out.

Comment

Fine. I have no further comment.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Clarification on ATED
                        klinka01
                        Hi guys,

Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
                        21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
                      • Reply to Clarification on ATED
                        leaseholder64
                        https://www.gov.uk/guidance/annual-t...-your-property seems fairly clear already, but the way I read it (as someone without a personal interest):

1) Open market value. If you paid for it at full market value, from an independent...
                        21-08-2017, 11:56 AM
                      • Stamp duty rates for Limited Company
                        klinka01
                        A bit of background: I am interested in getting on to the buy-to-let property ladder, to give myself passive income on top of my daytime job. I intend to start a limited company so that I can save on some tax. As such, I will be buying any rental properties via the limited company.

However...
                        21-08-2017, 11:08 AM
                      • Capital Gains Tax Query
                        glyall
                        Hello,

I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
                        21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
                      • Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                        globularity
                        I am currently living with my parents and have rented my flat out, this is the only property I own, and I lived there 12 years renting and 1 year as an owner. I am happy to move back in if this helps me to not have to pay capitol gains. Just read somewhere if its your principle home theres no capitol...
                        17-08-2017, 22:13 PM
                      • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                        Gordon999
                        1. The calculation of capital gain starts from the date of purchase of your property up to date of your sale date. If you paid 100K and sold for 160K , then your capital gain is 60K. The capital gain during period of living at the property + 18 months after moving away is exempt from capital gains...
                        18-08-2017, 15:04 PM
                      • Reply to Do I have to pay capitol gains tax?
                        jpkeates
                        When did you buy it, between what dates did you live in it, rent it out and when do you plan to sell it?
                        17-08-2017, 23:10 PM
                      • Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                        bhodgkiss
                        Hi there

I'm buying a btl with my partner (not married)

i believe we can do the mortgage under tenants in common (as opposed to joint tenants), then sign a declaration of trust to adjust the income split 99:1 (instead of 50:50). She's doesn't work.

Is it that simple...
                        17-08-2017, 06:22 AM
                      • Reply to Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                        bhodgkiss
                        Many thanks, yes I had read the bit about if one of us dies etc.

Ok we'll go for the standard joint tenancy, as I believe we can simply draw up a document for her to get 100% income anyway from what's been said here (and other threads)
                        17-08-2017, 15:45 PM
                      • Reply to Buying BTL and declaration of trust?
                        jpkeates
                        There are other differences between married couples and non-married couples that kick in.
                        You need to look at the totality of the situation, not focus on one part of it.

If you are married and one of you dies, the surviving spouse inherits the deceased's property automatically....
                        17-08-2017, 10:55 AM
                      Working...
                      X