Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

self assessment - money withheld on account by agent

Hi

My agent withholds (say) £200 on account to cover repairs etc so my monthly statement reads some thing like this:

INCOME
    Monies withheld £ 200
    Rent £1000
    TOTAL INCOME £1200

EXPENDITURE
    Management fees £ 100
    Repairs £ 100
    TOTAL EXPENDITURE £ 200

BALANCE £1000

RETAINED £ 200

NET AMOUNT TO LANDLORD £ 800

Should i account for the withheld money £200 as both income and expenditure every month or simply account for the gross rent less expenditure as the retained portion is held on account on my behalf? (I'm guessing the latter but it's my first self assessment)

many thanks in advance

Av

PS - I did trawl the forum first, but sorry if this has been asked before

You should account for the gross rent less the actual expenditure being the management fee and the repairs. The £200 hasn't been spent - it's just a float being held on your behalf so that the agent has the funds to deal with minor repairs etc. without delay, as and when they come up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
      by Bengt Lagander
      Is a red book valuation an "open market value"?

the Red Book, the RICS manual for valuers, the open market value ("OMV") is the best price obtainable in a transaction completed on the date of death.

Is this the correct definition please?
      07-08-2022, 11:33 AM
    • Reply to Inheritance tax Open Market Vakue
      by flyingfreehold
      even with an RICS' firm's valuation, if the valuers at HMRC think it low they will still challenge it. Ive just dealt with an estate the valuation date for which was during lockdown, and with extensive tenanted interests. The RICS firm arrived at their figure by a completely different methodology...
      07-08-2022, 18:40 PM
      by Neelix
      A written valuation for probate from an estate agent or 2

then after it’s sold you need to declare the actual value it sold for
      07-08-2022, 12:54 PM
      by Gordon999
      For assessing property value for estate tax, you would approach 2 or more surveyor firms for their valuation and choose the one who gives the lowest valuation.
      07-08-2022, 12:45 PM
    • Stamp duty question
      by Kekdal
      Hi Gurus,
      I am trying to figure out if I need to pay the 2nd stamp duty.
      I am buying a property which would be my main residence.
      I currently live in a property that I pay rent for as a tenant.
      However I own another property which I had bought to live in and had paid the lower...
      03-08-2022, 09:53 AM
    • Reply to Stamp duty question
      by Kekdal
      Thanks everyone I took professional advise from a qualified lawyer who confirmed that in my case I can't enjoy a lower rate. I kind of knew the answer but was clutching on straws . My oversimplified interpretation based on his advise is: HMRCs logic is if you have more than one property you pay higher...
      04-08-2022, 09:18 AM
      by DoricPixie
      The manual is clear, Kekdal will not be able to claim a refund if the BTL is disposed of after purchasing the new home. I don't know the circumstances the other posters to which you refer but they cannot be the same as Kekdal's as they would not be due a refund.

I don't think it would be...
      04-08-2022, 05:44 AM
      by jpkeates
      I used to believe that as well - the HMRC manuals are pretty clear about the situation in my view.

Which made the surcharge rules a real trap for anyone who owned a let property (maybe for some years) and, who then wanted to buy a home of their own).
      But some people claim to have...
      03-08-2022, 13:42 PM
      by DoricPixie
      Kekdal won’t be able to reclaim the higher rate of SDLT. That only works when someone buys a new main residence whilst keeping the old main residence, pays the higher rate of SDLT and then sells the old main residence within 3 years of completing the purchase of the new main residence. Then a claim...
      03-08-2022, 12:57 PM
      by jpkeates
      It seems to depend on the timing.

I used to think that if you owned another property which you let, you were just screwed, because of the second property thing (even if it was your residence you were buying).

I've been advised otherwise, and that you would pay and reclaim....
      03-08-2022, 12:11 PM
    Working...
    X