Few questions from a newbie :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions from a newbie :)

Hi there, first post here. Looking forward to getting in the buy to let industry. Being someone who has never delved into property before, I have a few questions regarding taxes so bare with me if I ask any silly questions!

1: Should I declare tax on my gross profit or net profit (minus bills, mortgage, allowances)?

2: If I have more than one property would it be best to set up a limited company to take advantage of the lower 19% (correct me if im wrong) tax rate?

3: Is £10,000 of the profit tax free in an LC?

4: What are the allowances which I dont have to declare?

5: Are there any other taxes other than Income tax which I should know about?

Thats all I can think of right now. Thanks

Not silly questions at all!

1. You would pay tax on net profit, so it would be on rents less allowable expenses such as repairs, insurance, agents letting fees and the interest part of your mortgage payments (not the capital element).

2. The current tax rate for a company is 20% (on profits up to £300k). To do this through a limited company or not, is a difficult one to answer without more information. It’s not just about the company and what tax rate would apply to it. For example, as owner you would probably want to take out some of the profit and what is the effect of that on your personal tax position by adding dividends/salary to your existing income. Could that put you into a higher tax bracket? Then there’s the possibility that over time the property in the company goes up in value and you want to sell. Company pays tax on the gain but then how do you get the money out without further tax? There are also some non tax things to consider like the cost of having a company and complying with the statutory obligations such as filing accounts with Companies House. Would you need to pay an accountant and what would that cost? Also, are mortgage lenders happy to lend to a new limited buy to let company anyway? I don’t know the answer to that but hopefully someone else will comment. I’m absolutely not trying to put you off a company but don’t do it unless there’s a very good reason to do so and you are aware of the pitfalls.

3. No, that was scrapped about five years ago. Strangely enough just after thousands of small businesses had incorporated to save tax!

4. Sorry, I don’t understand the question!

5. Stamp duty might be payable when you buy a property and there might be capital gains tax when you sell one and make a profit on it. There’s also VAT on some of your running costs but nothing you can do about that as a residential landlord.

Hope this helps.

Comment

"Bare with me" is the silly question.

You are required to submit an annual tax return to declare the gross rent and deduct allowable expenses to arrive at a profit figure which treated as part of your income and taxed accordingly. For better understanding , I suggest you download form SA105 and notes from the hmrc website.

Are you planning to buy a freehold house or leasehold flat to rent out ?

Comment

Thank you Mr Green! Great help, I have bought tax cafes property tax guide so am currently having a read through that.

Gordon, the house is freehold.
        Thank you both once again

Comment

Hi there.

A couple more questions if I may.

1: I take it you have to pay tax on the profit even if it is all reinvested?
          2: If me and my partner are in the company, does the company pay tax? or does each of us pay seperate taxes? Also whats the case in this with sole traders.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dokkodo View Post
            Hi there.

A couple more questions if I may.

1: I take it you have to pay tax on the profit even if it is all reinvested?
            2: If me and my partner are in the company, does the company pay tax? or does each of us pay seperate taxes? Also whats the case in this with sole traders.

Thanks
            If you buy property under your own name, then you will have to submit a tax return each year to declare the profit from rental inome ( and capital gains profit after the property has been sold.) If you & partner buy the property under joint names , then each submits a tax return to declare half the rental profit and half of the capital gains.

If the property is bought under a company name, the company has to declare the rental profit in its tax return. If the company is trading in property, it may be entitle to business asset roll over relief and delay its payment tax -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/businesses/reliefs.htm#2

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              If the company is trading in property, it may be entitle to business asset roll over relief and delay its payment tax -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/businesses/reliefs.htm#2
              Not so - except on its own business premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                If the company is trading in property, it may be entitle to business asset roll over relief and delay its payment tax -
                No, if it's trading in property then the profits are taxed as income not capital gains and so CGT holdover relief wouldn't apply. Rollover relief can be available in relation to the property you trade from i.e. your premises. The obvious example is the shopkeeper who sells his shop, makes a capital gain on it and then reinvests the proceeds in another shop.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Corporation Tax
                  by Thurrock1
                  jpkeates,

the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
                  25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
                • Corporation Tax
                  by Thurrock1
                  Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
                  My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
                  He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
                  23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
                  The...
                  24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
                  by theartfullodger
                  IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
                  24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
                  by Thurrock1
                  Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
                  24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
                  by Gordon999
                  The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
                  24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
                • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                  by Neelix
                  In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
                  18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
                  by nukecad
                  Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
                  17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
                • Student HMO and Holiday let
                  by lewis593
                  Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
                  17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
                  by lewis593
                  Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
                  17-11-2021, 20:34 PM
                Working...
                X