Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting consent for 2 years and more questions regarding reducing tax

Hi all,

I will start with the simple one hopefully - Can I put a "letting consent fee" that I paid to my money-thirsty mortgage provider against a tax I need to pay a taxman for letting my house out ?

The other question is very simple - could you please list (or point me to the thread) with all things I can offset against tax I need to pay ?

For instance:

1. An interest on the mortgage I pay on the house I let
    2. Travel expenses for 2 annual property inspection visits
    3. ....

Many thanks.

I think you pay letting consent fee because you are on a residential mortgage ( at lower interest rate ) and not on their BTL mortgage.

For getting to know about allowable expenses to set against taxable income, I suggest you download form SA105 and Notes from the hrmc website.

Comment

Thanks for that. Well, I was gonna download that stuff from HMRC, but can someone still answer the question re letting consent fee, please ? And yes, the house is NOT on BTL mortgage

Comment

Originally posted by alol View Post
        I was gonna
        Please have the courtesy to write in English.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by theartfullodger
          See..
          https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
          18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
        • Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
          13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
          by armour
          Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
          Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
          Chris
          18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
        • Overseas Landlords
          by Santa Fe
          I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
          16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
        • Reply to Overseas Landlords
          by Santa Fe
          Boletus, thank you.
          17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
          by jpkeates
          armour - Sorry, I don't know.
          It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
          17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
          by armour
          Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
          17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
        • Reply to Overseas Landlords
          by boletus
          You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
          16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
          by jpkeates
          The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
          The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
          If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
          16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
          by armour
          Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
          15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
        Working...
        X