Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowable Deductions

Hi,
    I have read extensively on allowable expenses, but wanted to clarify whether the following items are allowable. I have found explanations from the HMRC and other landlord forums unclear and inconclusive:

1). Fee paid to mortgage broker to obtain mortgage.
    2). Mortgage arrangement fee. Also called a product fee. This was added to the mortgage principal.
    3). Mobile bill. Whilst I don't have a mobile contract exclusively for the business, I use my personal mobile to conduct the letting business. If the usage is 50% personal and 50% business, can i deduct 50% of the phone bill. Whilst it does not fulfil the HMRC requirement of 'wholly and exclusive', it seems silly to carry 2 phones.
    4). Having bought a property recently that had not been updated for 30 years, the flat required rewiring and a newer boiler (central heating previously present) according to the survey report. The flat was rewired and the boiler replaced with a more efficient one. Also the kitchen units were replaced but the units were basic. Is the rewiring, new boiler and new kitchen units tax deductible?

Thanks

1. and 2. Yes. But over the life of the loan. So a £2,500 fee, and a 25 year mortgage gives you £100 deduction annually. If you remortgage after 10 years, then the remaining £1,500 of fees become deductible in that year.
    3. Yes. Whilst you are theoretically correct, in practice HMRC allows apportionment. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim37600.htm
    4. No. They are capital costs. You can either buy a cheap property and spend money on rewiring etc., or pay more for a property where somebody else has done that work. The tax treatment should therefore be broadly the same. It would be unfair to allow you a revenue deduction for those costs you mention.

Comment

Telometer, thank you for your reply.
      Regarding question 4 and following HMRC guidelines at website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM2020.htm, the purchase price of the property was not lower for a property in this state. If anything, I paid up for the property for its desired location. I could have rented out the property, but decided on the expenditure which were like for link and not lavish so that the flat could be rented more easily and possibly with a higher rent.
      The guideline on the HMRC website leans towards expenditure being more capital than repairs if the repair was made after the property was purchase. If the repairs had occurred 5 years after the purchase, would it then be 100% revenue expenditure?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by topgun View Post
        The guideline on the HMRC website leans towards expenditure being more capital than repairs if the repair was made after the property was purchase. If the repairs had occurred 5 years after the purchase, would it then be 100% revenue expenditure?
        How could the investor effect repairs before the purchase?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by topgun View Post
          so that the flat could be rented more easily and possibly with a higher rent.
          So there was clear improvement.

If you'd waited five years it would more probably have been revenue.

Comment

even giving the flat a lick of paint will lead to it being rented more easily and maybe achieve a high rent which is rental deductable, so i am not sure where to draw the line.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM2020.htm reading this section from the HMRC, right at the bottom is states "Provided the kitchen is replaced with a similar standard kitchen then this is a repair and the expenditure is allowable".
            I guess it comes down to whether the refit is a repair of similar style (rent deductable) or a substantial improvement where the the kitchen has been enlarged (capital)?

If you did make capital improvements, are keeping receipts sufficient for the tax man to be happy when you make a capital gain on your property say 20 years later? Or does he need proof of payment, credit card statement 20 years old?

thanks

Comment

"Provided the kitchen is replaced with a similar standard kitchen then this is a repair and the expenditure is allowable"

You're getting confused between general repairs, and significant expenditure on repair shortly after acquisition. You bought a property that had not been touched for 30 years. Hence expenditure likely to be capital. I suggest visiting an accountant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                by theartfullodger
                See..
                https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
                18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
              • Let Property Campaign.
                by armour
                Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
                by armour
                Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
                Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
                Chris
                18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
              • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                by Santa Fe
                Boletus, thank you.
                17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
              • Overseas Landlords
                by Santa Fe
                I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
                16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                by jpkeates
                armour - Sorry, I don't know.
                It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
                17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                by armour
                Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
                17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
              • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                by boletus
                You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
                16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
                by jpkeates
                The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
                The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
                If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
                16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
                by armour
                Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
                15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
              Working...
              X