CGT liability - Have a interpreted primary residence rules correctly- Help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT liability - Have a interpreted primary residence rules correctly- Help

    My wife and I own 2 U.K. properties.
    Property 1 we had built 23 years ago and was our family residence up until 4 years ago. Since then we have rented out the property for short term holiday lets (approx 20 weeks per year) and our main residence is now property 2 which was built 4 years ago. However we are still on the electoral register and have our bank accounts registered at Property 1.
    We have not declared to HMRC which should be our primary residence!
    We currently have property 1 up for sale although as it is a substantial property may take some time to sell whereas property 2 would sell relatively quickly. We do need to sell one of them in the next 12 months.

    Question A - Will HMRC class property 2 as the main residence and therefore be liable for CGT on property 1
    Question B - If we are liable for CGT on Propery 1 will we get a relief? I have read that we would not be liable for CGT for the period that it was our main home or for the last 3 years of ownership. In addition to this there is an allowance of up to 40K as it has been rented therefore I have calculated;
    Original costs of Property 1 = £50K
    Current value of Property 1 = £500K
    period of ownership = 23 years
    amount liable for CGT = 450/23 = £20K
    As this is less than 40K there would be no liability! Is this true?
    Question C - Can I therefore sell Property B at any time with no CGT liability?
    Much appreciated.

    Your PPR is a matter of fact. That is where you live. Not moving your address was not ireal but not a show stopper.
    Yes LR will be available:
    In a case heard in 1990 (Owen v Elliott (CA 1990) the Inland Revenue (as it then was) lost and it was held that if the property has been the taxpayers principle private residence at any time and it therefore had a period of exemption from Capital Gains Tax then the Residential Lettings Exemption (max (£40,000) is available. (TCGA 1992 s 223)
    And that is per owner so I would suggest there is no CGT liability but you need to check exactly how many you rented the property out for. Remember that you do not get LR in the last 36 months of ownership.
    Yes your present home is free of CGT liability. Regards Peter


      Lettings relief only available to cover approx 20 weeks for which property rented during the year that was four years ago (i.e. during the year you correctly identified). Not available for weeks property not let. But you also both have your annual exempt amounts of 10k which is likely to cover any other gain.


      Latest Activity


      • Damaged artwork expense
        by jtufty
        Hi all

        Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
        24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by ram

        As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

        It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
        25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by nukecad
        I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

        My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
        25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by jtufty
        Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
        25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by Section20z
        You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
        25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by ram

        We assume the place is let as furnished ?

        I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
        So pictures ? not sure.
        I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
        25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by jtufty
        Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

        I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
        25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by jpkeates
        It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
        There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

        And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
        24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
        by Section20z
        That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
        £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
        24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
      • Let Property Campaign.
        by armour
        Hi all,

        A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

        She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
        13-09-2021, 13:45 PM