Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT for confused owner of two properties

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can advise what should I do to avoid paying tax on one of the properties I wish to sell. My property investment story is as follows: I live in Oxford, renting out with my brother. In September 2003 I bought a house up north (property A), were my boyfriend lived for one year and were I lived myself mostly during weekends and breaks from work ( I travel abroad a lot with work). Last September me and my boyfriend bought another house together (property B) were I am hoping to move after finishing a course sometimes this autumn. From January 2005 I am renting out Property A but I intend to sell it and invest money abroad. I know that I should let Inland Revenue (IR) know which is my main residence, prior to selling the first house, in order to avoid paying CGT. I am planning to do so but I am not sure I can prove I lived there (although I have been paying one bill for almost one year). Unfortunately, when I bought any of the houses, I did not know I would have to inform IR about my residence status. Also, I have not been registered as paying council tax as I was contributing to my brother council tax and... but never bothered to register on the electoral roll as I am a foreigner who doesn’t like to get involved in your political life..

Thank you for your advise and for your time
    Last edited by Giulia; 06-06-2005, 23:34 PM. Reason: tex error

QUOTE:
    'In September 2003 I bought a house up north (property A), where my boyfriend lived for one year and were I lived myself mostly during weekends and breaks from work ( I travel abroad a lot with work).'

REPLY:
    So this was your 1st property which you owned. You used this property as your residence but you also had other residences related to your work. This means that you had more than one residence. In this case you are required to nominate which was your MAIN residence for CGT purposes. Such an election is required to be made within 2 years of having two or more residences available to you. This time limit does not expire until September 2005 and you should make this election before that date.

QUOTE:
    'I know that I should let Inland Revenue (IR) know which is my main residence, prior to selling the first house, in order to avoid paying CGT. I am planning to do so but I am not sure I can prove I lived there (although I have been paying one bill for almost one year). Unfortunately, when I bought any of the houses, I did not know I would have to inform IR about my residence status. Also, I have not been registered as paying council tax as I was contributing to my brother council tax and... but never bothered to register on the electoral roll as I am a foreigner who doesn’t like to get involved in your political life.'

REPLY:
    This was not your main residence and therefore the criteria for proving a use as a residence is much less onerous. It is sufficient that you were using it as your residence as and when possible. You should simply write a letter to your tax office and state that you wish to nominate the property as your main residence for CGT purposes from the date of purchase to September 2004 (the date you purchased the other property jointly with your boyfriend). Assuming that the election is accepted (although you will not receive formal acceptance), the final 3 years of ownership of this property will automatically be exempted. additionally, due to lettings relief of upto £40,000 due to use of the property as residence and also letting, plus taper relief and annual exemption, you could keep the property as BTL for a lot longer than September 2007 and still not suffer CGT.

I should add that the Inland Revenue will normally simply keep your election on their file and may review the position as and when you sell the property. You may wish to consult an accountant to deal with the election on your behalf, although there is no reason why you should not do this yourself if you are confident. Ensure that you ontain at least an acknowledgement from the Inland Revenue of your election.

Ramnik
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Dear Ramnik,

thank you very much for your time and for sharing your knowledge. I wish I can refer to you as to a book every time I have a difficulty in understanding the property investment business in the UK

Giulia

Comment

You could also refer to Inland Revenue Help Sheet IR283 (downloadable from website). If you do not make any election, the question as to which is your main residence is determined by the Inland Revenue on the facts. main residence is determined by quality of residence rather than where you spent most time. On the basis of information set out in your query, I would say that your main residence was indeed the property A. I say this because this is the only property you owned until September 2004, your boyfriend (with whom you bought property B in September 2004) lived at the property and you also visited at weekends and during holidays etc. your other residences were work based and therefore not considered as permanent as your owned home to which you always intended to return.

But still best to make the election to put the matter beyond doubt.

Ramnik

Comment

Hello again,

I wonder if anyone can help with a further advise.

I have called the Tax Service to ask them to record my permanent residence at the property A. I have been told that I may not have to pay CGT tax if I sell the house, provided I buy another property with the money obtained.

Is this true? I am not sure I want to but another property in the UK within the next 3 years.

Please help

Thanks
          Giulia

Comment

If it is accepted that this was your main residence, there is no problem because you lived in here until it was let in January 2005 plus final 3 years exemption will take you upto January 2008.

The house was mainly occupied by your boyfriend and you worked and lived fulltime in Oxford where you were working. So how can you prove that the owned flat was your MAIN residence?

This is why it is safe to nominate the owned flat as your main residence just in case. The nomination has to be in writing to your normal tax office. Ensure to obtain their acknowledgement.

Ramnik

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by Ollyn
              Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by ash72
              You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
              18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
              by theartfullodger
              You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
              18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by Gordon999
              The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

If your annual gross...
              18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
            • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by banner257
              Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
              Thanks
              18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
            • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
              by jpkeates
              It's £1,000 each.

Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
              18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
            • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
              by VIKKI99
              Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
              The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
              Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
              18-05-2022, 01:07 AM
            • Reply to Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
              by Madmax86
              Rent is income. All income needs to be declared, regardless of the mortgage you have
              18-05-2022, 08:50 AM
              by theartfullodger
              The clue is in the name. INCOME tax. Make sure you keep all relevant records, possibly say 30 years , for CGT which on current rules you will probably pay when eventually sold. But yes, self assessment income tax to be comply and paid, online. Do you have registration for government gateway?
              18-05-2022, 07:26 AM
              by jpkeates
              Yes.
              It’s income....
              18-05-2022, 06:58 AM
            Working...
            X