Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses OUTSIDE the rent a room scheme

Hello everyone

My name is David, I am a yet to be Landlord (read I am looking to buy a property and thinking about renting one or two rooms).

My question is pretty straightforward but can't seem to find and answer.

Under the Rent-A-Room scheme you have an allowance of £4250, free of taxes, but can not claim any expense.

But how do you calculate expenses when you opt-out of the scheme? Do all the expenses/allowance of a normale rental still hold valid? Surely not for the whole amount I guess (would be too cool to be true).

On a side note: I am also considering to just buy to let, but I am worried of tenants not paying rent, which would be a disaster considering I am taking on a meaty mortgage! I know is a silly question but does it happen often if you do the proper checks (or maybe rely on an agency doing the screening of the tenants?).

Just a reasonable proportion. So, mortgage £100 per month. House has 4 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge, so 6 rooms. 2 bedrooms occupied by lodgers. Therefore 2/6th of mortgage is tax deductible.

Comment

Sounds good!
      Let me see if I understood correctly with and example closer to what I expect to be the situation.

Flat with 1 Kitchen, 1 living room, 2 bedrooms (3 total rooms + kitchen). mortgage interests £500 (I wish!), council and service charge £100 (more realistic).

Case A - 1 Lodger: 1 room each, shared use of kitchen and living room. I file as expenses 50% of mortgage interests, council tax and service charge (£300). Correct?

Case B - 2 Lodgers: 2 rooms to lodgers plus shared use of kitchen. I can file 66% of the expenses (2 rooms out of 4 rooms, plus 2/3 of the kitchen) (£396 total). Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        Just a reasonable proportion. So, mortgage £100 per month. House has 4 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge, so 6 rooms. 2 bedrooms occupied by lodgers. Therefore 2/6th of mortgage is tax deductible.
        Try reading what I wrote.

Comment

I tried. But doesn't help me understanding what my situation will be and doesn't point to a specific law.

In your example you consider kitchen and loung as room but not bathroom, what if I rent the loung too? You also mention mortgage interest only, what other expenses can I deduct (I imagine all other expenses would be deductible, just a different portion compared to the let of the whole flat)?

Comment

The law is that expenditure must be wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business for it to be deductible.

Comment

Flat with 1 Kitchen, 1 living room, 2 bedrooms. If you rent out both bedrooms as per Case B, where do you live. I'm confused. Regards Peter

Comment

Hi, in case B I would rent the living room as a bedroom (very common here in London).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X