Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses OUTSIDE the rent a room scheme

Hello everyone

My name is David, I am a yet to be Landlord (read I am looking to buy a property and thinking about renting one or two rooms).

My question is pretty straightforward but can't seem to find and answer.

Under the Rent-A-Room scheme you have an allowance of £4250, free of taxes, but can not claim any expense.

But how do you calculate expenses when you opt-out of the scheme? Do all the expenses/allowance of a normale rental still hold valid? Surely not for the whole amount I guess (would be too cool to be true).

On a side note: I am also considering to just buy to let, but I am worried of tenants not paying rent, which would be a disaster considering I am taking on a meaty mortgage! I know is a silly question but does it happen often if you do the proper checks (or maybe rely on an agency doing the screening of the tenants?).

Just a reasonable proportion. So, mortgage £100 per month. House has 4 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge, so 6 rooms. 2 bedrooms occupied by lodgers. Therefore 2/6th of mortgage is tax deductible.

Comment

Sounds good!
      Let me see if I understood correctly with and example closer to what I expect to be the situation.

Flat with 1 Kitchen, 1 living room, 2 bedrooms (3 total rooms + kitchen). mortgage interests £500 (I wish!), council and service charge £100 (more realistic).

Case A - 1 Lodger: 1 room each, shared use of kitchen and living room. I file as expenses 50% of mortgage interests, council tax and service charge (£300). Correct?

Case B - 2 Lodgers: 2 rooms to lodgers plus shared use of kitchen. I can file 66% of the expenses (2 rooms out of 4 rooms, plus 2/3 of the kitchen) (£396 total). Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        Just a reasonable proportion. So, mortgage £100 per month. House has 4 bedrooms, kitchen and lounge, so 6 rooms. 2 bedrooms occupied by lodgers. Therefore 2/6th of mortgage is tax deductible.
        Try reading what I wrote.

Comment

I tried. But doesn't help me understanding what my situation will be and doesn't point to a specific law.

In your example you consider kitchen and loung as room but not bathroom, what if I rent the loung too? You also mention mortgage interest only, what other expenses can I deduct (I imagine all other expenses would be deductible, just a different portion compared to the let of the whole flat)?

Comment

The law is that expenditure must be wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business for it to be deductible.

Comment

Flat with 1 Kitchen, 1 living room, 2 bedrooms. If you rent out both bedrooms as per Case B, where do you live. I'm confused. Regards Peter

Comment

Hi, in case B I would rent the living room as a bedroom (very common here in London).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                  by jpkeates
                  The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
                  The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
                  If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
                  16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
                • Let Property Campaign.
                  by armour
                  Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                  13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
                  by armour
                  Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
                  15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  The wear and tear allowance was 10% of the rent before any deductions.

The only exceptions were always poorly understood and were always a little odd.
                  You had to deduct items which would normally be borne by the tenant but, for some reason, weren't.
                  So, if the landlord included...
                  14-09-2021, 11:57 AM
                  by armour
                  Hi again,

The deed is done. My friend registered for the Let Property Campaign scheme an hour ago.

The next step is HMRC sending her a disclosure number by post within 14 days.

As I am trying to sort out her tax liability over the past 16 odd years, I'd appreciate...
                  HiI understood that 10% wear and tear on profit is income less costs i.e. all costs relating to the property (Mortgage Interest, Management costs, rep
                  14-09-2021, 11:25 AM
                  by armour
                  Thanks for the replies.

JP, I think my friend wants a clean break with HMRC rather than fighting it to minimise her tax bill as you suggest she could do. In any case, what with higher mortgage interest rates and her eviction costs in the early years, the tax liability prior to around 2010...
                  13-09-2021, 18:17 PM
                  by Gordon999
                  Has your friend lived in the property at any time ?

Does your friend's annual income from " job plus rental property" exceed the annual personal allowance, during each of the last 6 years.?

Does taxable income come under the 20% tax rate each ye...
                  13-09-2021, 14:37 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  The whole idea of the campaign is to collect the tax and not penalise people who come clean too much.

Personally I'd use an accountant, because I don't think HMRC can normally go back much further than six years, so there's possibly a trade off of six years tax plus possible hefty penalties...
                  13-09-2021, 14:24 PM
                • Reply to CGT calculation
                  by armour
                  Thanks all. It seems I had a couple of errors there, thanks for pointing them out.

There is more to this though. Please see my next thread titled 'Let Property Campaign'.
                  13-09-2021, 13:46 PM
                • CGT calculation
                  by armour999
                  Hi all,

This will probably be a bit incoherent so apologies in advance.

A friend of mine has asked me to work out her CGT liability for a flat she is selling. The bare facts are these:

She bought the flat in May 2000 at a purchase price of £78,000. The completion...
                  11-09-2021, 17:50 PM
                Working...
                X