• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    My tenant recently moved out and on the final inspection the letting agent noted that there was damp on the living room wall. This wall is back to back with the bathroom.

    I got in a plumber and he pulled of wall paper and tiles in the bathroom and in the living roomand said the water had been running behind the tiles. The tenant put up an electric shower against a hardboard wall and did not waterproof the shower area..... but that is another story. grr!

    The bathroom was a bit tired looking anyway and with the damage done by water I decided just to do the whole bathroom

    The bathroom was tiled from floor to midway up the wall round the bathroom and had a white suite.

    I have had it redone floor to ceiling in tiles and with a new white suite. I also tiled the floor which priviously was lino.

    Would I be able to claim for the new bathroom expenses when I fill in my tax form?

    Arguably the additional tiling (midway to ceiling) is not deductible. Likewise the tiled floor. These are instead capital items to offset against CGT on sale of the property.


    Latest Activity


    • Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
      by dhoops97

      I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
      03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
    • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
      by dhoops97
      This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

      Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment...
      03-08-2021, 16:32 PM
    • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
      by jpkeates
      It's legal.

      If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
      The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
      03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
    • HMRC Section 36 notice
      Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

      I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
      02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
    • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
      by Neelix
      If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
      03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
    • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
      by spikeg33
      I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
      02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
    • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
      by spikeg33
      I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
      03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
    • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
      by theartfullodger
      Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
      03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
    • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
      by spikeg33
      Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
      03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
    • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
      by Section20z
      In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
      03-08-2021, 08:06 AM