New kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kitchen

We bought a property 12 months ago, and it's becoming clear we need to replace the fitted kitchen (oven is on the blink, badly planned space etc.)

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that next tax year was the last year this would be allowed as a tax-deductible expense. Have I made this up, or is it a case of now or never from a tax perspective? (I'm currently pregnant, so could do without the hassle of getting something done in the next six months, if I can leave it for another year.)

Thanks in advance

No-one knows Laura, not even HMRC it seems. If you wish to be on the safe side, I would do it before 5-4-13.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...wals-Allowance

Comment

Thank you. Very confusing. If I were to call HMRC, would they be able to give me a straight answer, do you think? Or not worth the effort and inevitable hassle?

Comment

You should be fine. This is a repair to a building, not a repair to an item of plant.

Only items that are otherwise covered by the 10% wear and tear allowance are affected by this change.

The only fly in the ointment is that only kitchens replaced on a like-for-like basis are deductible as repairs. If the space is badly planned, and you reorder the kitchen, then there is replacement that is otherwise than like-for-like and is therefore (to the extent it is an improvement) a capital expense.

Comment

Thank you - that's helpful. It will be like-for like, other than literally just moving a couple of cupboards round and fitting a fitted fridge-freezer instead of standalone - I can't imagine that that would really count as an improvement - it's not like we're fitting a jacuzzi and sauna!

Comment

Absolutely do count as improvements. Particularly the fitted f-f.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X