New kitchen

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New kitchen

    We bought a property 12 months ago, and it's becoming clear we need to replace the fitted kitchen (oven is on the blink, badly planned space etc.)

    I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that next tax year was the last year this would be allowed as a tax-deductible expense. Have I made this up, or is it a case of now or never from a tax perspective? (I'm currently pregnant, so could do without the hassle of getting something done in the next six months, if I can leave it for another year.)

    Thanks in advance

    No-one knows Laura, not even HMRC it seems. If you wish to be on the safe side, I would do it before 5-4-13.


      Thank you. Very confusing. If I were to call HMRC, would they be able to give me a straight answer, do you think? Or not worth the effort and inevitable hassle?


        You should be fine. This is a repair to a building, not a repair to an item of plant.

        Only items that are otherwise covered by the 10% wear and tear allowance are affected by this change.

        The only fly in the ointment is that only kitchens replaced on a like-for-like basis are deductible as repairs. If the space is badly planned, and you reorder the kitchen, then there is replacement that is otherwise than like-for-like and is therefore (to the extent it is an improvement) a capital expense.


          Thank you - that's helpful. It will be like-for like, other than literally just moving a couple of cupboards round and fitting a fitted fridge-freezer instead of standalone - I can't imagine that that would really count as an improvement - it's not like we're fitting a jacuzzi and sauna!


            Absolutely do count as improvements. Particularly the fitted f-f.


            Latest Activity


            • Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
              by dhoops97

              I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
              03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
            • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
              by jpkeates
              It's legal.

              If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
              The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
              03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
            • HMRC Section 36 notice
              by KILOCHARLIE
              Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

              I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
              02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
            • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
              by Neelix
              If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
              03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
            • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by spikeg33
              I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
              02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by spikeg33
              I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
              03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
            • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by theartfullodger
              Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
              03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
            • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by spikeg33
              Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
              03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
            • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
              by Section20z
              In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
              03-08-2021, 08:06 AM
            • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
              by Gordon999
              It may help if your doctor can give you a medical letter stating approx date when you had a breakdown and suffered some memory loss.

              If your job income is below the personal allowance level each year during last 6 years , you are not owing unpaid tax .
              02-08-2021, 20:02 PM