Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redecorating after tenants have moved out

The tenants finally moved out.

I have had the house has been repainted.

I also plan to remove the carpets in bedroom and sitting room and replace it with laminate flooring. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

The windows had blinds in the bedroom and nothing in the lounge. Kitchen didn't have any window fixtures. I plan to add net curtain and curtain fixtures in bedrooms and lounge and roller blinds in the kitchen. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

Do I need to provide net curtains and curtains?

Also the kitchen cabinet doors (3) have come off their hinges. Worst case would mean replacing the cabinets. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

Your ideas and advice will be useful.

It all sounds like maintenance and repairs to me. Tell us what you intend to do with the property. Regards Peter

Comment

Thanks I will be renting it out

Comment

Originally posted by kosmicmisfit View Post
        Thanks I will be renting it out
        also what type of invoice needs to be produced for to be tax compliant?

Comment

Replacing a worn carpet with laminate flooring is arguably a capital improvement.

You need a dated invoice showing how much you paid to whom and for what. Is that what you meant?

If you replace broken cabinet doors with new ones of a similar quality and type, that's a repair. If you upgrade to more expensive better quality ones, that's capital expenditure.

There's no obligation to provide curtains or blinds, although most landlords do as tenants usually prefer it - if you don't know how long you'll be in a place, you don't want to be paying out for curtains and blinds you might not be able to use in your next home.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
            It all sounds like maintenance and repairs to me. Tell us what you intend to do with the property. Regards Peter
            Disagree strongly.

Laminate flooring and carpets are not, in my view, interchangeable for tax purposes. The laminate flooring becomes a part of the property; the carpets do not. The VAT treatment and CIS treatment of the two are completely different, which I think backs up my view.

Adding curtain fixtures where there were none before is clearly capital.

Replacement kitchen cabinets where there is no element of improvement is repairs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
              by dhoops97
              This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment...
              03-08-2021, 16:32 PM
            • Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
              by dhoops97
              Hi,

I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax...
              03-08-2021, 14:24 PM
            • Reply to Rent 2 Rent Tax Return
              by jpkeates
              It's legal.

If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
              The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as...
              03-08-2021, 14:44 PM
            • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
              by Neelix
              If you were unemployed and receiving benefits and didn’t tell them you may need to brace yourself for contact from the DWP too...
              03-08-2021, 10:01 AM
            • HMRC Section 36 notice
              by KILOCHARLIE
              Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these please?

I received a letter from HMRC a few months ago stating they were investigating my property affairs. I was told I could provide documentation regarding it to help but if I didn’t wish then they would complete the check on...
              02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
            • Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by spikeg33
              I would appreciate some advice on getting our one rental property transferred into my beneficial interest as I have recently retired and now have the whole of my tax allowance to use against the rental income. I have researched and researched but would like some clarification about what to do . At present...
              02-08-2021, 14:07 PM
            • Reply to Advice for DoT 100/0 or 99/1 is there a beneficial difference?
              by spikeg33
              I know it’s 1% difference but was really asking what the legal implications are of either transferring it into 100/0 or 99/1. I’m not an expert in this field in any way shape or form and am merely asking for advice....
              03-08-2021, 09:10 AM
              by theartfullodger
              Difference between 100:0 & 99:1?? 1%.
              03-08-2021, 09:02 AM
              by spikeg33
              Thank you jpkeates for your advice. I will now proceed with 99/1 and happy that you have clarified the situation for me....
              03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
            • Reply to HMRC Section 36 notice
              by Section20z
              In your shoes I think I would be asking for a personal interview (maybe on Zoom these days) so you can find out exactly what they require. In my experience I have always found them reasonable and helpful and you can always ask for a supportive friend to also be present if you're nervous.
              Council...
              03-08-2021, 08:06 AM
            Working...
            X