Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redecorating after tenants have moved out

The tenants finally moved out.

I have had the house has been repainted.

I also plan to remove the carpets in bedroom and sitting room and replace it with laminate flooring. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

The windows had blinds in the bedroom and nothing in the lounge. Kitchen didn't have any window fixtures. I plan to add net curtain and curtain fixtures in bedrooms and lounge and roller blinds in the kitchen. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

Do I need to provide net curtains and curtains?

Also the kitchen cabinet doors (3) have come off their hinges. Worst case would mean replacing the cabinets. Does this count as a expense of capital improvement?

Your ideas and advice will be useful.

It all sounds like maintenance and repairs to me. Tell us what you intend to do with the property. Regards Peter

Comment

Thanks I will be renting it out

Comment

Originally posted by kosmicmisfit View Post
        Thanks I will be renting it out
        also what type of invoice needs to be produced for to be tax compliant?

Comment

Replacing a worn carpet with laminate flooring is arguably a capital improvement.

You need a dated invoice showing how much you paid to whom and for what. Is that what you meant?

If you replace broken cabinet doors with new ones of a similar quality and type, that's a repair. If you upgrade to more expensive better quality ones, that's capital expenditure.

There's no obligation to provide curtains or blinds, although most landlords do as tenants usually prefer it - if you don't know how long you'll be in a place, you don't want to be paying out for curtains and blinds you might not be able to use in your next home.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by TaxationPete View Post
            It all sounds like maintenance and repairs to me. Tell us what you intend to do with the property. Regards Peter
            Disagree strongly.

Laminate flooring and carpets are not, in my view, interchangeable for tax purposes. The laminate flooring becomes a part of the property; the carpets do not. The VAT treatment and CIS treatment of the two are completely different, which I think backs up my view.

Adding curtain fixtures where there were none before is clearly capital.

Replacement kitchen cabinets where there is no element of improvement is repairs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X