Online self Assessment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online self Assessment

Having sent off forms for UTR and not receiving the number until I'd spent a few hours on the phone being sent pillar to post on an 0845 number to the tax helpline. Continually cut off I went to town to use the tax office phone with similar outcome but did get through in the end. I eventually managed to set up my online account only to continually receive this message:

"there is no information to view at this time
    you have only just activated this service and there is a short delay before the information is available to view."

So what is a short time? a Google shows someone saying 2 to 3 hours but a week has gone by and still the same message. Anyone else had this? I dread getting on the phone again.

Oh dear, I am not having any luck am I. This must be an unusual case to get no replies?
    I have e mailed tax online services and if I get any answers I will post back as someone else may get this one day and be grateful for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JP111 View Post
      Oh dear, I am not having any luck am I. This must be an unusual case to get no replies?
      I have e mailed tax online services and if I get any answers I will post back as someone else may get this one day and be grateful for the advice.
      A short time could be two to three weeks, bearing in mind the massive staffing cuts in HMRC.

why are you in such a hurry? The deadline you are working to is surely 31.1.13, is it not?

Don't spend ridiculous amounts of time on the phone unless it really is urgent. Email or letter is more efficient for you.

You can profitably spend the interval preparing all those numbers to put in the little boxes.

Comment

Yes 31.1.13 is correct but if it takes from April to now just to get a UTR and an activation code knowing my luck I'll be late and get fined
        I am trying to get it all out of the way as it's my first time doing this self assessment stuff and also going through probate for two family members both involving the tax man and one was joint landlord with me so I'm feeling swamped. Just want it all out of the way. Thanks for your reply

Comment

All sorted. When you register there are four boxes on the page and it is the bottom left one that starts the process so I have to scroll down which I am pretty sure I did before. Whether it was there before on my page I will never know but I noticed it yesterday and I can't believe they hide it at the bottom and put the message about you have only just activated at the top ( that remains there even now)
          Anyway I had a rapid response after my e mail from online help SA to say they couldn't help and I should ring quoting the ref .... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
            by Soparles
            Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property...
            21-09-2021, 07:15 AM
          • Reply to Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
            by Soparles
            Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.
            22-09-2021, 10:51 AM
            by jpkeates
            If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
            If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from...
            22-09-2021, 09:57 AM
            by Gordon999
            ( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation...
            22-09-2021, 09:48 AM
          • SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by Sol_1969
            Say my wife and I buy a house as a second house. We would pay SDLT at the current rate plus 3%.

If in a few years' time we sell the house and the house has gone up by a considerable amount such that we have to pay CGT.

On selling, is the full SDLT paid recoverable against our...
            22-09-2021, 06:03 AM
          • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by Gordon999
            I agree with jpk. Your entry cost is £200K. + £5K sdlt + conveyancing solicitor costs + Land Registry costs.
            22-09-2021, 07:47 AM
          • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
            by jpkeates
            SDLT is a cost associated with the purchase and can be deducted from the gain before tax is calculated.
            22-09-2021, 07:36 AM
            by Soparles
            Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of...
            22-09-2021, 05:58 AM
            by jpkeates
            It is very unlikely that your lender will allow a consent to let for either a holiday let or letting to a company.
            So, the first hurdle may be a showstopper.

I don't think HMRC would allow the arrangement that you are proposing.
            If you lease the property to your own limited...
            21-09-2021, 09:19 AM
          • Let Property Campaign.
            by armour
            Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
            13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
          Working...
          X