CGT on a property i lived in for 6 years.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on a property i lived in for 6 years.

I bought a property for £95,000 in 2001 and lived in the property for over 6 years. I then decided to keep/rent this property, re-mortgaging for a new property. I re-mortgaged the property for £175,000 as it was valued at 240,000.
    If i wanted to sell the property now - how much CGT would I have to pay?
    I still have £200,000 outstanding on my mortgage i live in.
    I have always done a self cert on the rented property paying my taxes etc! Any help please?

Originally posted by ethan07 View Post
    I bought a property for £95,000 in 2001 and lived in the property for over 6 years. I then decided to keep/rent this property, re-mortgaging for a new property. I re-mortgaged the property for £175,000 as it was valued at 240,000.
    If i wanted to sell the property now - how much CGT would I have to pay?
    I still have £200,000 outstanding on my mortgage i live in.
    I have always done a self cert on the rented property paying my taxes etc! Any help please?
    What is the current market value of your rental property for sale now ?

How is the 200000pds mortgage connected to the rental property or are you confused ?

Comment

Value of property that you sell it for now minus £95,000 = profit on the house. You pay CGT on that.

Charlie

Comment

No The OP lived in the property for 6 yeras so PPR and Letting Relief will apply. Read HS283 on the HMRC web site. We await for the OP to tell us the est sale value. Regards Peter

Comment

The current market value of the rental property is 235,000. The mortgage i have on the property I live in has no connection to the rental mortgage. Both are seperate.

Comment

Sell today for 235k. Cost 95k. Profit £140k, earned over 11 years, i.e. 12.7k p.a. profit.

First six years lived in; last three years deemed tax free. Total 9 years.

Remaining 2 years taxable, i.e. 12.7 x 2 = 25.4k.

Less letting relief (maximum 40k)

Taxable gain nil. No tax to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT
              AJ1
              Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the...
              17-01-2018, 14:35 PM
            • Reply to Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT
              AJ1
              Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.
              17-01-2018, 15:35 PM
            • Reply to Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT
              KTC
              Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
              17-01-2018, 15:12 PM
            • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
              Dan_Manchester
              Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
              16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
            • Short tax return
              samsam
              I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
              16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
            • Reply to Short tax return
              theartfullodger
              Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
              16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
              samsam
              Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
              Thanks
              Sam
              16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
              theartfullodger
              When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
              16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
            • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
              Alice88
              Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
              Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
              We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
              14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
            • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
              Gordon999
              If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
              15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
            Working...
            X