CGT planning for a beginner.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGT planning for a beginner.

Just trying to plan ahead and work out PRR if we sell in 5 years and a 10 year calculation also..... Have I got my head around capital gains tax?

Married couple, bought our flat in Sept 1993 for £40K. It's probably now £150k. Gain of £110K

Have been letting it since November 2011 and intend to continue to do so.

Moved out August 2011 so period of occupation (by August 2014) = 215+36 months, total 251 months.

Calculation in 5 years time from now 251/275 =.913 x £110,000 = total PRR £100,430

Calculation in 10 years time from now 251/335 =.749 x £110,000 = total PRR £82390

Sell in 5 years time (I know the value of the flat won't be the same) and have £9570 CGT before both our personal allowances and letting relief, taking CGT due to zero.

Sell in 10 years time and have £27610 CGT, the above allowances again taking it to zero.

(Please do forgive me if my figures are out)

Have I got the right idea or am I just being hopeful?

Looks about right. I haven't checked any of your numbers, but you could pay an accountant to do so.

Comment

I think you are not hopeful enough. After 10 years I would expect the flat value to rise by 3 % per year and gain 30% higher value.

But if the lease term falls below 82 years, then you may have to consider switching to another property.

Comment

Okay, thanks both - that looks like good news.

We were able to extend the lease last year from 73.5 years up to 163.5 years at a total cost of £10300 (including all costs involved), so we'll be okay on that front.

Again, thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          max_co71
          Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
          21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
        • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          jpkeates
          It's nothing to do with the income being taxable - that's just a red herring.
          It's not allowed because HMRC has decided it's not - it's part of the job of being a landlord.

If it were to do with the income being taxable, someone who earned less than the tax free allowance could happily...
          22-08-2017, 10:26 AM
          AndrewDod
          Put another way, are you planning to declare the income you earn from doing this work (and pay tax on it)?
          22-08-2017, 10:09 AM
          Gordon999
          You cannot charge for your own time against the rental income because its still part of your annual income for income tax calculation.
          22-08-2017, 06:03 AM
        • Capital Gains Tax Query
          glyall
          Hello,

I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
          21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
          Gordon999
          If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

If you have a...
          21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
        • Clarification on ATED
          klinka01
          Hi guys,

Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
          21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
        • Reply to Clarification on ATED
          Gordon999
          If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
          • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
          • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

The 10% banding thresholds...
          21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
        • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          londonrulz
          I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

Providing below details, will my spouse...
          02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          Kape65
          If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
          21-08-2017, 15:57 PM
        Working...
        X