CGT planning for a beginner.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CGT planning for a beginner.

    Just trying to plan ahead and work out PRR if we sell in 5 years and a 10 year calculation also..... Have I got my head around capital gains tax?

    Married couple, bought our flat in Sept 1993 for £40K. It's probably now £150k. Gain of £110K

    Have been letting it since November 2011 and intend to continue to do so.

    Moved out August 2011 so period of occupation (by August 2014) = 215+36 months, total 251 months.

    Calculation in 5 years time from now 251/275 =.913 x £110,000 = total PRR £100,430

    Calculation in 10 years time from now 251/335 =.749 x £110,000 = total PRR £82390

    Sell in 5 years time (I know the value of the flat won't be the same) and have £9570 CGT before both our personal allowances and letting relief, taking CGT due to zero.

    Sell in 10 years time and have £27610 CGT, the above allowances again taking it to zero.

    (Please do forgive me if my figures are out)

    Have I got the right idea or am I just being hopeful?

  • #2
    Looks about right. I haven't checked any of your numbers, but you could pay an accountant to do so.


    • #3
      I think you are not hopeful enough. After 10 years I would expect the flat value to rise by 3 % per year and gain 30% higher value.

      But if the lease term falls below 82 years, then you may have to consider switching to another property.


      • #4
        Okay, thanks both - that looks like good news.

        We were able to extend the lease last year from 73.5 years up to 163.5 years at a total cost of £10300 (including all costs involved), so we'll be okay on that front.

        Again, thanks for your help.


        Latest Activity


        • Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          Instead of hiring an accountant and services company, I have been doing the account and maintenance works myself on my buy-to-let property. While declaring tax return, can I include the hourly rate (as tax deduction) for the works I had done (the account and maintenance services works) ? If I can, is...
          21-08-2017, 23:59 PM
        • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          It's nothing to do with the income being taxable - that's just a red herring.
          It's not allowed because HMRC has decided it's not - it's part of the job of being a landlord.

          If it were to do with the income being taxable, someone who earned less than the tax free allowance could happily...
          22-08-2017, 10:26 AM
        • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          Put another way, are you planning to declare the income you earn from doing this work (and pay tax on it)?
          22-08-2017, 10:09 AM
        • Reply to Tax deduction on account and maintenance works
          You cannot charge for your own time against the rental income because its still part of your annual income for income tax calculation.
          22-08-2017, 06:03 AM
        • Capital Gains Tax Query

          I am looking for help with regards to a query about CGT.

          First off, the situation. I own a flat in Dundee. It's been my main and only residence since September 2013 (nearly 4 years). I am planning to move to Edinburgh to be closer to my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50...
          21-08-2017, 10:28 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax Query
          If you buy a cheap flat and re-sell after 6 months , the tax Office may decide the "profit is trading income" and subject to 20% or 40% income tax. You would have to live in the flat for atleast one year or longer to claim main residence and exemption for cgt..

          If you have a...
          21-08-2017, 17:31 PM
        • Clarification on ATED
          Hi guys,

          Just needing some clarification regarding the ‘annual tax on enveloped dwellings’ (ATED). From what I understand, there is a charge of £3500/ year for limited companies owning properties worth >£500,000.

          For arguements sake, if I bought a property for £499,000,...
          21-08-2017, 11:38 AM
        • Reply to Clarification on ATED
          If you’re not sure which value band your property falls into, you may be able to ask HMRC for a Pre-Return Banding Check (PRBC) if:
          • you’re not due a relief that will reduce your ATED charge to nil
          • your property valuation falls within 10% of a banding threshold

          The 10% banding thresholds...
          21-08-2017, 17:03 PM
        • Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          I was thinking through the process of informing HMRC about unequal shares of benefitors(in this case me and my spouse). As I understand, a form 17 along with evidence of unequal shares must be submitted. Evidence being declaration/deed of trust.

          Providing below details, will my spouse...
          02-08-2017, 13:02 PM
        • Reply to Will it trigger SDLT charges?
          If there is a mortgage on the property care must be taken only to transfer the net equity between the couple. Not only is a transfer of the mortgage interests likely to breach the terms of the mortgage with the lender, but being a transfer of an interest in land it could also trigger a stamp duty land...
          21-08-2017, 15:57 PM