CGT on BTL flat How to calculate and allowances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT on BTL flat How to calculate and allowances

Hi. I bought a BTL flat in 2000 for £80000. Hope to sell this year (2012) for £140000. Obviously I had some legal and other costs for the purchase and will have similar for the sale. Am I right in thinking I can work out the average annual increase in value and deduct the last 3 years worth of property value increase from the cgt calculation? Can I also deduct anything due to letting allowance ?
    Now this year I will also buy another BTL property (partly funded by the sale of the first) can I therefore postpone the declaration of,cgt on the first property if I have spent it on another property in the same year?
    Alternatively if I have to make additional capital expenditure on the new property in order to make it habitable then can I offset this additional expenditure against the gain on the first property?

Originally posted by stanfsim View Post
    Am I right in thinking I can work out the average annual increase in value and deduct the last 3 years worth of property value increase from the cgt calculation?
    Why do you think that, have you seen it written anywhere? I believe this is only if the property was ever your principle primary residence. I'm not even sure you qualify for letting relief if you never lived there.

I've not yet had to deal with CGT myself but as it's a tax on the profit from the disposal of an asset I wouldn't have thought the purchase of another would have any affect.

Comment

I picked it up from another thread in this forum - no idea if it is correct or not though.......

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...638#post369638

Comment

Also seems to be something in this HMRC helpsheet about last 36 months of ownership and also letting relief - although I can't say its clear to me ....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf

Comment

Both of your examples are for selling a property that was at some point your home. As you bought your property as an investment I don't think you qualify for either the 3 exempt years or letting relief.

Comment

If your BTL flat was let out for entire period from 2000-2012, your capital gain is 60K. You can deduct a free allowance of 10.6K and rest will be taxed at 18% or 28% CGT.

If you buy a new property and spend on some improvements before start of letting, the total cost can only be set against the proceeds of a future sale for calculating the capital gains tax.

Comment

& if you ever lived there, then tell us as it will reduce the tax.

Are you married?

Comment

Many thanks to you all for your replies.
                No I'm not married the flat is in my sole name.
                Would it make any difference if I lived there for say 6 months before selling - or might this be seen as tax avoidance ?

Comment

Tax avoidance is legal, such as using a ISA or utilising your spouse's allowance. It's tax evasion that's illegal.

I think you only have the first two years of owning a second property to decide which is your PPR. Although that might be if you aren't, or can't prove, you are living or going to be living in the second property. If you totally move there for six months, have all your post go there, utilties and bank accounts addressed there, register on the electoral roll, etc then it might qualify. Also buying a third property could give you the two years to decide which property is your PPR again. Your current home would benefit from the last 3 year exemption and would qualify for letting relief if you let it out.

I'm not 100% sure of all of this. As it could save you a lot of tax it would be worth getting professional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneK2011 View Post
                    I think... I'm not 100% sure of all of this.
                    Dead right you're not.

OP, deliberately living there for 6 months before selling purely to artificially claim PPR relief would make no difference. It would never have become your *permanent* residence.

Comment

Even if I move in as my sole residence register for council tax utilities etc?

Comment

It would never have become your *permanent* residence. 6 months is (almost) inevitably temporary. To claim otherwise would be fraud.

Comment

Ok. Many thanks all for your replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT
                            AJ1
                            Afternoon All,

After much help from reading this forum I finally have question.

I am just in the process of completing the transfer of my BTL into a ltd company.

My solicitor has settled my personal mortgage and then taken out the new mortgage in the name of the...
                            17-01-2018, 14:35 PM
                          • Reply to Transfer to Ltd Company & SDLT
                            AndrewDod
                            As far as I know the accountant is right. This is a sale to a separate party (the company) of the whole. It is NOT a gift of the whole to the company (as in a gift to another party) in which case the solicitor advice would apply. A gift without a mortgage to a person would have no SDLT. I doubt you...
                            17-01-2018, 20:38 PM
                            AJ1
                            Thank you, solicitors just confirmed its market value... damm. Never mind. Although I budgeted the SDLT anyway. Thank you again.
                            17-01-2018, 15:35 PM
                            KTC
                            Whichever you go with, make sure they both have adequate professional indemnity insurance in place.

Market value. (s53 Finance Act 2003)
                            17-01-2018, 15:12 PM
                          • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
                            Dan_Manchester
                            Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
                            16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
                          • Short tax return
                            samsam
                            I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
                            16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
                          • Reply to Short tax return
                            theartfullodger
                            Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:
                            https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rn-notes-sa210

Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
                            16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
                            samsam
                            Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
                            Thanks
                            Sam
                            16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
                            theartfullodger
                            When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
                            16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
                          • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
                            Alice88
                            Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
                            Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
                            We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
                            14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
                          Working...
                          X