Capital Gains Tax - is there a definitive answer ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital Gains Tax - is there a definitive answer ?

In September 2000 my wife and I moved in to a purchased property which was our only residence (and property) until July 2008 when we relocated to a different part of the company with my work and bought a new home which has been our primary residence since then - but we decided to keep the 2000 purchase as a rental property and have had a tenant in there ever since.

We are now looking to sell the 2000 property and have had three different summaries of our CGT liability (none from professional advisors as yet).

We purchased the original property for £147000 and when we left in 2008 it was valued at £250,000 and this is still the approximate value.

Any advice/guidance would be much welcome and also how do we declare any liability ?

Thanks

You get to deduct allowable expenses from the gain such as your buying and selling costs. Then work out what the total gain is and divide it by the number of years owned. The years you lived there is exempt and as it was once your primary principle residence the last three years of ownership are also exempt. Then as you rented out the property you also qualify for letting relief, you need to look this up as i don't know off the top of my head how much this is.

Once you know what your taxable gain is, if the property is owned jointly then both you and your wife split the gain and both get to use your yearly allowance of £10,600 before paying anything. I'd be very suprised if you have to pay anything due to the percentage of time it was your PPR and the three exempt years.

What have others told you?

Comment

1. Your capital gain over 12 years is approx 100K.

2. Your period of residence + 3 more years is exempt for CGT and this covers period up to July 2011. Therefore if you sell in July 2012 . about 1 year of gain out of 12 years ownership is liable to CGT = 100K divided by 12 years = 8K gain.

This 8K gain is below the free allowance of 10,600 for CGT .

So no tax payable.

Comment

Not so, Gordon999.

The 8k gain is offset by letting relief (assuming the property was let constantly between July 2008 and the date 3 years prior to the sale date).

Comment

Telometer,

yes , you are right and I was err.... "cutting corners"

Comment

Thanks all

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
            Telometer,

yes , you are right and I was err.... "cutting corners"
            Ultimately I am hearing there is no tax liability unless Telometer's comment means otherwise. Two of the three people had pretty much said the same as above but one said that it was the difference in value from purchase to sale less costs which means a lot of CGT ! Do we need to declare there is no liability ?

Comment

Originally posted by JaneK2011 View Post
              You get to deduct allowable expenses from the gain such as your buying and selling costs. Then work out what the total gain is and divide it by the number of years owned. The years you lived there is exempt and as it was once your primary principle residence the last three years of ownership are also exempt. Then as you rented out the property you also qualify for letting relief, you need to look this up as i don't know off the top of my head how much this is.

Once you know what your taxable gain is, if the property is owned jointly then both you and your wife split the gain and both get to use your yearly allowance of £10,600 before paying anything. I'd be very suprised if you have to pay anything due to the percentage of time it was your PPR and the three exempt years.

What have others told you?
              Thanks for the detail in this answer. It probably summarises all of the bits we have been told. I think that Gordon999s answer was as he says a short cut but in essence the concept is the same ie the taxable amount if below our allowances so even though we rented it the whole period this appears to be irrelevant ?

Comment

It would be relevant if you had other assets sold in the period like shares.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                  It would be relevant if you had other assets sold in the period like shares.
                  No other sales that involve CGT !

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tax rate question
                    vik2001
                    Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
                    is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
                    Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
                    £40000-11,500 =...
                    20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
                  • Reply to tax rate question
                    emwithme
                    You will pay 18% on some (the amount that takes you to the higher rate threshold, so the first £32,000 of taxed income - the amount that's taxed if it's income at 20%) and then 28% on the rest.

For example, if your total earned income is £40,000 and your capital gain (after allowances)...
                    20-07-2017, 20:36 PM
                  • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
                    lampshade
                    Hi All.
                    Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
                    We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
                    The question I...
                    20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
                  • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
                    lampshade
                    thanks for taking time to post. Maybe I have not explained what I am meaning. I am not talking about paying cash to avoid VAT, that is illegal.

But if VAT is paid on a bill by our service agents, (say £10,000 + £2,000VAT) and because that service agent is VAT registered, I assume they...
                    20-07-2017, 19:56 PM
                    Gordon999
                    The service charge account pays the bills + VAT from each separate supplier.

The managing agent may charge their annual fee + 20 % VAT. ( turnover is over £80K p.a )

The electric company charges cost ( for units consumed on domestic property ) + 5% VAT.

The...
                    20-07-2017, 15:21 PM
                    jpkeates
                    If the agent can claim back the VAT, they'll have to charge the same VAT to the tenants, so there's no VAT to "return".
                    VAT is always (ultimateky) paid by an end user who isn't VAT registered.
                    20-07-2017, 14:41 PM
                    JK0
                    AFAIK, there is no scope for getting VAT off for cash when you are talking about service charge.
                    20-07-2017, 14:33 PM
                  • Second Home SDLT
                    xavaar
                    I just want some clarification on a scenario.

Say I lived abroad and had a buy to let property in England.

I want to move back to England and so buy a second property for £500,000 which will become my main residence.

Do you think it would be cheaper to:
                    19-07-2017, 16:01 PM
                  • Reply to Second Home SDLT
                    tatemono
                    and that "own" is anywhere in the world, just in case you have property overseas also.

I think you may be confusing SDLT on purchase with the CGT that would be due if you sold a house that wasn't classed as your main residence. As jpkeates pointed out, SDLT is calculated diff...
                    20-07-2017, 09:15 AM
                  • Reply to Second Home SDLT
                    jpkeates
                    It doesn't work like that - you pay the additional 3% on any property above the first that you own.
                    There's a transitional allowance, to help people who sold their home and haven't bought a new one who might otherwise have been caught out., but it wouldn't apply in your scenario.
                    19-07-2017, 18:42 PM
                  Working...
                  X