Rent discount due to repairs and disruption - how to record

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rent discount due to repairs and disruption - how to record

    Last November my property developed a damp problem. Now the repair of this took several days and a lot of disruption - kitchen could not be used etc. (The tenants were advised to move out by the damp proofer for the duration). Anyway to cut a long story short we negotiated a month's rent free plus 90% discount of another month in exchange for them repainting the repaired walls.

    The question is how do i account for these discounts. Are they allowable - if they are what do they come under. I am using ezpz landlord (similar to sage) for my accounts. Thanks for any help


    You didn't receive anything, so there is nothing to account for. So month one is:

    Income: £0

    Month two income: £50 (assuming is 10% of the rent, i.e. a 90% discount)
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

    That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!


    Latest Activity


    • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
      Evening all,

      We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

      The planners have requested...
      16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
    • Short tax return
      I have one letting property. I have always used a short tax return which has been fine for giving totals of rent and costs inc mortgage interest. Now that the allowance for mortgage interest is reducing by 25% every year how do I show the figures? Whichever tax return I use, do I do the calculations...
      16-01-2018, 14:40 PM
    • Reply to Short tax return
      Apologies, I failed to include Theresa's link:

      Just done my draft submission: In a state of shock regarding estimated payment required 31/01/2018.
      16-01-2018, 16:26 PM
    • Reply to Short tax return
      Sorry artful, I don't understand why you are asking me that. I haven't checked against Thersa's document (what is that?). I just want to know how I show the reduced mortgage interest claim against profit.
      16-01-2018, 16:14 PM
    • Reply to Short tax return
      When you checked against Theresa's document here, what did you conclude? What total profit & what total rental income please?
      16-01-2018, 14:50 PM
    • How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

      I need some advice so please for help.

      My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
      Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
      We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified...
      14-01-2018, 05:54 AM
    • Reply to How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)
      If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office...
      15-01-2018, 23:05 PM
    • Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT

      Please can someone clarify what HMRC is referring to with the statement below
      If the larger share is given outright as a gift

      If you take a bigger share but don’t pay anything in return, there’s no ‘consideration’ given including taking on liability for a mortgage. You...
      07-10-2017, 12:13 PM
    • Reply to Beneficial Ownership Change & SDLT
      Just picking up on this thread. I'm still not clear on the consideration point where there is a mortgage that both parties are jointly responsible for. Can the DoT be written such to confirm that only net equity is being transferred, therefore no consideration and no SDLT? The 3% additional rate is...
      15-01-2018, 15:38 PM
    • Becoming landlords for the first time this summer - tax advice
      This summer, probably July 2018, we intend to rent out our three bedroom home and move a few miles down the road to the next town. We will rent a flat or house ourselves. We want to be within the catchment area of a better state school for our child than what is on offer where we currenty live. We may...
      14-01-2018, 15:58 PM