>>> Form a limited company or Keep the property personal?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • >>> Form a limited company or Keep the property personal?

    Hi ALl

    Me and my husband own a freehold property jointly. The property has a commercial shop on ground floor and a residential flat on first floor.

    We bought the property in a bad condition, renovated it and now it values more. Ideally we want to sell it on soon.

    We want to get two separate leases for the shop and flat so we can sell them individually. Or have a flat as freehold and make the shop leasehold.

    Our solicitor suggested we set up a limited company with us being the shareholders and directors. This limited company will own the lease for the two property.

    We are thinking put my name as the freeholder and my husband name as the leaseholder. So my husband can utilise his loss and we can use our Capital Gain Excemption etc.

    Which way is better? Keep it personal or in a company?

    Also when we get the separate leases, do we need to recognise them separately at market value which means we will make a gain/loss as the freeholder in this tax year?

    Many thanks for any comments!

Latest Activity


  • Offset against tax
    I purchased a flat which needed a bit of work done on it, no doubt some would have rented as is. The kitchen had 3 different kitchen units in for some reason with all different doors, it was cheaper to install new kitchen than replacing doors, fitted a bath cause there was no bath before, just a homemade...
    11-06-2017, 07:32 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    yeesh... glad I am a person and not a company... much simpler!...
    25-07-2017, 09:35 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    A company will pay corporation tax instead of CGT, but otherwise it will be the same as for an individual: You calculate the company's capital gain once the asset is sold then the company pays corporation tax on that gain.

    The accountant is right that capital expenses (like creating a bath)...
    25-07-2017, 07:56 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    YOU didn't buy for cash (hopefully...) the corporate body did.

    Now, how did the company come by all that cash?

    Who's/what's bank account was used to pay?

    Investigation of both you (human) & company (not human) could be expensive, long drawn-out & painful....
    24-07-2017, 11:32 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    I think I'd get a new accountant.

    Over the life of the business, you might end up paying less tax this way - if corporation tax reduces, the tax cost of any gain will be less than the tax cost of the expenses, but that's a remote future event against a tax payment this year.

    24-07-2017, 10:28 AM
  • Reply to Offset against tax
    In 2016-2017 i purchased 2 properties, both cash so no mortgage repayments etc. I have asked a few questions in relation to what is a maintenance/repair expense or capital and i thank you for the answers. I submitted my end of year accounts to my accountant, when i submitted them i stipulated that i...
    24-07-2017, 10:06 AM
  • tax rate question
    Im trying to figure out whether im going to be a high rate 28% or low rate 18% tax rate payer on CGT when selling my property.
    is this how I work it out for 2017/18:

    Work Salary before tax deductions is £40,000
    Personal Allowance 2017/18 is £11,500
    £40000-11,500 =...
    20-07-2017, 18:35 PM
  • Reply to tax rate question
    jpkeates not according to my accountancy textbook! (And I got 86% in the Personal Tax module so I'm pretty confident). I can dig it back out of the box tomorrow to double check though...

    [The reason I didn't take off the £11.1k capital allowance was pure laziness - although I did say...
    22-07-2017, 19:45 PM
  • VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
    Hi All.
    Hope someone can shed light on the following. I own a lease in a purpose built block of flats (30 in 3 linked blocks, with 3 separate entrances).
    We all pay our service charges as requested the freeholders appointed service/managing agent.
    The question I...
    20-07-2017, 08:37 AM
  • Reply to VAT paid on Apartment block maintenance
    One of my sources for the uncertainty as to whether money should be accounted as going through the agent's books is sections 1.2.2 and 1.2.4 of ICAEW TECH/03/11 https://www.icaew.com/-/media/corpor...ce-charge-acco...
    22-07-2017, 13:41 PM